Got 2011 MacBook Pro 13" but wait, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suckatcomputers, Feb 26, 2011.

1. suckatcomputers, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

suckatcomputers macrumors regular

FYI... I bought the 2010 MBP 13" 5 weeks ago, and after complaining and moaning with the guy at the Apple Store yesterday... "Ok, I'm not supposed to do this, but we'll make an exception this time.

I'm on my new 2011 MBP now, but when I opened it last night I was very upset. When I lifted the screen up THERE WERE THICK, CLOUDY STREAK MARKS as if somebody wiped the screen with Windex mixed with chocolate milk! I flipped it over and I also saw a couple scratches I would've never noticed if my screen didn't have the streak marks.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but it wasn't even an issue of me "noticing'' it. I lifted up the screen and BAM it was there.

What could have happened? I'm going through the possibilities in my head but I can't figure it out. The one I bought 5 weeks ago was so clean and shiny:confused:

I'm starting to wonder if Apple attached a refurbished 2010 screen to the 2011 base. Considering the physical dimensions are the same and there are no changes besides the Thunderbolt input and internal stuff, it's possible right?

Or one anxious, curious employee used my machine and accidentally sneezed on the monitor, then did a poor job of wiping.

Sorry, I know this seems minor compared to software/hardware issues others are having, but I spent $1300 and am confused as to why I had to use the NEW cloth to wipe the NEW screen (which I did for 10 minutes) on my NEW computer that was JUST released the previous day.

Could this be why some people never have a problem with their Macbooks for 5-6 years, while others are having issues left and right and regretting not purchasing Applecare?

Any similar experiences?

Also, this 2011 one makes a louder clicking noise than the 2010 as I shut it to put it to sleep and when I open it up too. And as I'm typing now, the keys, mostly the space bar feel very worn and used up. I don't feel the "crispness." Kind of disappointed...

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Just take it back and trade it for another one.

3. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Never heard of this before.. I always thought they did an inspection, before completely boxing it up.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Take it back and exchange it. Doesnt matter why the marks and scratches are there, I wouldnt accept that on a new machine.

5. krn macrumors newbie

kinda off topic but....does your 2011 macbook pro i5 have the date "2010" stamped on the bottom case next to the model number? Just got mine and it has "2010" on it. Hope i don't have to take another trip to the apple store

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me you traded in a used 2010 and received a used 2011.

You can probable exchange it. But it sounds like a good trade in your favor no matter what.

7. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Yes on the back of the computer but NOT on the box it came in. Computer - "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China Model No. ...blah blah blah... © 2010 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Box- "2011 Apple Inc. ... blah blah..."

Not sure what you mean by "bottom case" but if that "stamp" is the indicator of when it was built I'm fine with it, because that would mean the box was made in 2011 (who cares about the box) and the computer was built in 2010. I'd rather know that the computer was built last year, not last week, however...

UPDATE: that clicking noise I mentioned on the OP, IT DOES IT WHEN I LIFT UP MY COMPUTER TOO NOW! Maybe they should've taken more time and built it in 2015.

I'm going to get ready and head to Apple to handle this mess now... will give you an update when I get back.:)

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yeah I certainly wouldn't accept this as a brand new computer. Get it exchanged for sure.

9. krn macrumors newbie

agreed!

10. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

I just got back from the Apple store and after approval from a manager, they traded me for a new one.

As for the marks on my screen, the guy had no explanation. He said it's probably a "freak accident." It definitely didn't happen in the store, and he said it probably happened in the factory. He said he has dealt with strange incidents like this before. So maybe the guy who attached the screen sneezed all over it and didn't care to wipe it clean.

Oh yeah, as for the "2010" on the back, he assured me that all of the new 2011s have that.

I asked him about the so called "worse battery" rumors. I will post that in a new thread since it's off topic and lots of people seem to want to know in other threads.

I love Apple, haha.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, you've gotten 3 new laptops in a very short period of time by just a little negotiating with Apple. Thats pretty amazing customer services.

Granted, you should have never gotten the dirty machine so they did the right thing by taking care of it.

12. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I'm very happy with Apple. I guess my anger should be directed towards the individual employees, NOT Apple as a whole company. I wish it was a "little negotiating." But 10 minutes of complaining and arguing seems like an eternity when it happens like this:

An employee who fools me into thinking he's a manager, interrogates me, only to have the actual manager ask me the same questions again, and then have another manager ask the right questions, listen and understand me, and hand me a new MBP in 2 minutes with a smile.

I think Apple is better off announcing their release dates and having the policy be 14 days - NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.