Got 3Gs. Giving 3G to wife..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maky29, Jul 31, 2009.

1. maky29 macrumors newbie

She uses a mot today and is on a 9.99 family plan. The plan is to have her use my iphone 3G without being forced on the $30 data plan. We are both AT&T family plan, so I presume I can just slip her sim into the 3G without having to jailbreak/unlock.

Only thing is I've heard that AT&T detects if someone is using a iPhone and forces the data plan on - any truth in this or is this true only if one is using a cheaper media net plan on an iPhone? I have already called and requested that all data be turned off on her line but haven't yet put the sim into the iPhone.

Thanks,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes it appears to be true. AT&T will see the iPhone and automatically add the data plan to your account.

3. alejovh1 macrumors regular

yeah, I got a text message indicating to call CS and add teh proper data plan to the account. you can try deleting the APN settign and not use any data to see if it works.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, did the same with my original iPhone; gave it to the War Department and eventually AT&T caught up with her and charged us the $20 data plan, though she had the Motorola RZR, she didn't have the data plan setup for it....:(:(:(

5. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

Another fine example of the man catching you… gotcha ya:)

6. teaguecole macrumors member

I have been using a iPhone 3G bought from eBay on a normal family plan for about 7 months and I have not yet had AT&T change my plan. However, the first thing I did when I purchased this phone was get on wi-fi and go to unlockit.co.nz and disable the APN so I can not use the network for internet use. I don't think they will change your plan unless you contact them or give them some reason to look at your account (having an outrageous bill). So just stick your AT&T sim card in the phone and it will activate itself and disable the APN and you should be fine. However it is definitely possible that they change your plan, but I have been doing it for 7 months and have had no problems at all so that has to say something.