got 6 new macs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Sep 16, 2007.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

well hello everyone. i recently got 6 power macs. 5 are g4s and 1 g3. some of them were stripped and all but i've already sold some of the parts on ebay to help fund parts to buy to get one working. i'm trying to get at least one of them working for my kids to use. i first got into computers back in the mid 90s with my os 7.4 apple performa so it's been a long time. i got the g3 running as it's the only one that came wiht a hard drive but is a 9gb drive but has OS 9. i tried using that boot drive to get my other g4s running but wouldn't work, i think i read somewhere that the MDD and quicksilvers won't boot in OS9? i did find on ebay a guy selling a 80gb hdd with OSX Tiger preinstalled for $40+SH and was wondering if that's a good idea and operating system? i already bought the wireless apple keyboard and mouse and a nice 19" lcd screen. sorry for the long post and i also think i forgot some more questions but will come back if i do. thanks everyone.

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

Well, all g4 systems will run os9 to my knowledge. I had a dual 867mdd that ran 9 like a champ, but I think I only booted to 9 about 10 times for scanning purposes. I don't think you would want to run anything but 10 on them. As to why it won't boot, it could be that the version of 9 on the g3 doesn't have the drivers to run the g4 machines. I would say your best bet is to get some disks for re-installs (ebay or other), and hard drives separate, rather than pre-installed hard drives. Legal questions aside, there is nothing like a fresh install to make an older system feel snappy. Good luck getting the g4's up and running...

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Title should be got 6 used Macs - they're not new. But I'm nitpicking.

All G4's except for the last generation of G4 MDD's (with Firewire 800), I believe, support MacOS 9. The Quicksilver will definitely boot MacOS 9.

Here is what each Mac requires http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114 Go down to the Power Mac G4 part of the list.

So for the Quicksilvers it seems to say you need MacOS 9.2.1 or higher. And notice the note (9) for the MDD FW800, note (9) says it requires MacOS X to boot.

You probably should just install MacOS X on the Quicksilvers and MDDs and forget MacOS 9, UNLESS you need to use MacOS 9 for something.

4. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

lol yeah they are far from NEW but new for me!
    i'm running tiger right now on my 500mhz dp gigabit and hope to have my 1.25 dp mdd ( i have another one but a single processoor and i think they are both fw400) running within a few days. i just bought a wireless usb adapter and lots of ram so i can't wait to get them. i'd also like to get a acd to dvi adapter and run 2 displays but those go for a lot of money still:(