Got a 1st gen iphone - now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by packetjunkie, Aug 12, 2008.

1. packetjunkie macrumors regular

I bought 2 3g's for me and the wife; a friend who upgraded gave us his 1st gen iPhone. I'd like to give it to my 14 year old daughter, I reset the phone and connected it to iTunes and its syncing music and such, but it doesn't prompt me to activate the phone.

Do I need to call AT&T? How do I setup the phone? I thought the 1st gens activated over iTunes?

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's probably unlocked. If you really want to activate through iTunes and renew 2 year contact, just restore the phone.

3. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

She has a RAZR now, so I'd like to switch her service from that to the iPhone.

Do I have to agree to a 2 year extension just to update her to the used iPhone?

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

that will happen when you restore the iphone and reactivate. It will ask for your ATT account number and ask if you want to add a line or use an existing line. You choose use existing line, then you give THAT number,a nd it will automatically add the data charge to that phone.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I would just call AT&T and tell them you want to add the first gen data plan onto that line. They will likely ask you for the IMEI number, which shouldn't extend your contract for 2 years.

6. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will call them and report back how it goes.

7. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so here's what happened. First, let me say that the rep I talked to at AT&T was the nicest gal - extremely helpful.

Took the SIM from old RAZR, put into iPhone. Plugged in iTunes, went through activation. No 2 year requirement. Phone is up and running.

Only bummer is apparently the unlimited family texting plan does not apply to the first gen iphones and so I have to pay $40 per month (on top of the $9.95 for the extra line) for an unlimited texting plan.

Not exactly what I was expecting - $49.95 per month for this first gen. I guess thats the same monthly cost for a 3G with shared unlimited texting plan.

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Oh cool, I guess my information was outdated.

9. applelvr22 macrumors newbie

We have the unlimited family texting on our plan. My sister and I both had the $20 original iphone plan. The unlimited text applied to our iphones too.

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

umm thats odd, because we have unlimited family texting and it applies to our iphones on that bill.. its actually a business account, but multiple iphones are not supported on a business account - weird.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

PacketJunkie, I REALLY hope your 14 year old daughter doesn't see what you're using for wallpapers on your phone. If she does, she'll have some...interesting body image issues to deal with later in life.

12. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know. I will call back tomorrow and see what the deal is - she wasnt that familiar with iphone 1st gen plans and had to keep putting me on hold. Very nice, but maybe she didnt have the right info so I can try again tomorrow. Seems redundant to be paying for unlimited family plan texting and an unlimited for the iphone.

13. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! No. Seriously, that work I did was a while ago. When the girls got older (I have 4 girls, 1 boy), I decided I was no longer interested in that line of work. I still do the occasional shoot with people I know, but its very different now.

My iphone wallpaper is the Gears of War apple symbol posted in another thread. Now my Touch I use at the gym, well, thats a different story. :)

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

(laughs) that's cool, didn't realize it was your work. My roommates a stripper, I understand.

15. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

It was a sideline for a number of years, started out as mostly "fitness" for the publications but wasn't much money in that, so it "evolved". It was a great learning experience, but I always said I wouldn't be "that guy" (the old guy with a camera taking pictures of young girls), so I moved on.

It's nice to do the occasional favor for a friend at the gym or someone referred by someone I used to work with, but after 6 years of photographing women I felt I had done enough.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

ROFL. I wish I didn't see those. But yea, AT&T is generally nice, since you already have 2 iPhone 3G's and now want to add another one. They are nice to customers who already filled up their wallets.

17. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the great info! You saved me $20 per month!

I called back, got an operator who said right off the bat that the plan covered the iPhone 1st gen and that while the $20 data plan comes with 200 messages the unlimited family plan overrides it.