Got a 2009 quad Mac Pro - video cards and questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rondocap, May 30, 2012.

1. rondocap macrumors regular

So I sold my 2006 Mac Pro, which had 12 gigs of ram, OCZ SSD and ATI 5770. (From Apple)

I picked up a 2009 Mac Pro, the quad 2.66 model. Threw in 16 gigs of ram, the same SSD, but now I'm stuck on two things:

1.) WiFi: It has bluetooth but no wifi. I have an airport express so I can just hook up an ethernet cable to it from the express, so do I even need a wireless card? Would the wireless card give me a better connection or is the ethernet cable/express good?

2.) I have an nVidia 8800GT in it. I obviously want to upgrade it, and have read the thread on Mac Pro GPU's.

Basically, can someone summarize it for me based on what I want: plug and play Apple compliance with as much power/bang for the buck I can get. i.e 5870 Apple card is good, but expensive and a bit outdated - if I can find a card that requires little user tinkering and works great, let me know! What are the top cards in this regard?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Cabled is always better for a connection so unless you are planning on being mobile or moving the Pro far away don't worry about WiFi.
    6870 is probably the card you want (best bang for buck). It is close to the speed of the 5870 but costs less and is fairly easy to get set up (little tinkering). Nothing other than the 5770 and 5870 Apple cards are officially supported in regards to recent offerings. There are tons of threads on MR about how to get this going.