Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Super happy fun day, i got a Canon 24-70 L yesterday for my Canon 550D and well it is fantastic however front heavy for my poor little 550D. I tried out a battery grip in the store and that replaced balance so next on my list.

Right now i am using a Jessops 77mm UV filter to protect the front element, whats the best filter i can get that will not impact image quality majority and provide protection from bumps and scratches.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
That would be a B & W UV Filter. I use one on each of my lenses and it does not cause additional ghosts or flares.
Congrats on the L glass.. bear in mind that those B & W filters cost a small fortune but that is for a reason...

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
I second B+W UV MRC... I have it on my lens since the first day (I ordered it together with the lens as a matter of fact. It does cost a fortune (for a filter) but hey, you bought yourself currently best standard zoom lens and you wouldn't want to spoil image quality with some cheap filter....

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
I also shoot with a 550D and 24-70mm f/2.8L and I actually prefer the front-heaviness. I just carry it by holding the lens with my left hand and then controlling the shutter and settings on the body with my right hand. Same goes for using the 70-200mm f/2.8L. If I need to adjust zoom or manual focus, I'll just adjust my left hand to hold the lens there. The only time I hold the camera body predominantly is when using a 50mm or 10-22mm. This has worked well for me 12,000+ shots in but YMMV.

BTW, Hoya HMC UV-0 filters got ranked higher than B+W here:
http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article-UV_filters_test_Description_of_the_results_and_summary.html

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
regarding the hoya and B & W test: The problem that I have experienced in the past with hoya and all the others is that there is a huge sample variation. I mean that some UV filters are great from hoya and then I have had some that just are absolute garbage and generate a huge amount of flare. I have not encountered that sample variation with B & W. Then again your situation might be different.
//f

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
I sometimes get flaring with my 50mm f/1.4 when at max aperture while using a Hoya UV-C (compact) filter... other than that, I've had no issues with Hoya HMC Super UV(0) filters. The closest thing to an issue I've experienced is that the lens cap doesn't fit on as snugly, but it still stays on nicely enough.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Hmm b & w looks good but i always here good things about hoya, though it really has to be the best filter possible regardless of price. I want to take full advantage of my L glass and to that i've got a few more books about better understanding exposure and composition as well.

Its a very powerful lens for a amateur such as myself but with a lot of practice i think this will be my main lens for many many years to come especially for scenes of harbours and little things here and there i love taking pictures of.

First sample shot of some poor kids wee cute hat, must have put it on the building works thing and forgot about it.
263695_224030890954866_100000438714928_854452_3370727_n.jpg

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Congrats! Nice piece of glass.... Did you consider the EFS 17-55 IS as welll? What swayed you towards the L?

As for protection, I dont know what kind of conditions you're shooting in, but how about just using the hood when shooting and the lens cap when not shooting?

If you really want a filter, I highly recommend this HK reseller... Great selection and prices if you can wait 10 days for shipping. I've purchased a few things from them and been very happy.

http://maxsaver.net/

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
IMO just forget the whole concept of using a UV filter to "protect" the front element. I swear that whole thing was just made up by camera store salesmen looking to pad their margins by leading consumers to purchase high price filters.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Congrats! Nice piece of glass.... Did you consider the EFS 17-55 IS as welll? What swayed you towards the L?

As for protection, I dont know what kind of conditions you're shooting in, but how about just using the hood when shooting and the lens cap when not shooting?

If you really want a filter, I highly recommend this HK reseller... Great selection and prices if you can wait 10 days for shipping. I've purchased a few things from them and been very happy.

http://maxsaver.net/

I want to move onto full frame next year, and reviews of the 24-70L put it as one of the best lens with the 70-200 2.8 II.

I live in north Scotland i don't want dirt, dust, and sand getting in the lens when its shooting into me in the wind.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
IMO just forget the whole concept of using a UV filter to "protect" the front element. I swear that whole thing was just made up by camera store salesmen looking to pad their margins by leading consumers to purchase high price filters.

For the last lens I sold, I never used a filter on it and it got nicked on the front lens element as a result. Despite it being in perfect shape otherwise, it sold for about $100 less than market value. I could have paid $30 to put a good 58mm UV filter on it which would have prevented this altogether. The amount of light transmitted by a good UV filter is >97% so I'd rather sacrifice a little light to have a pristine front lens element and ensure high resale value.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
For the last lens I sold, I never used a filter on it and it got nicked on the front lens element as a result. Despite it being in perfect shape otherwise, it sold for about $100 less than market value. I could have paid $30 to put a good 58mm UV filter on it which would have prevented this altogether. The amount of light transmitted by a good UV filter is >97% so I'd rather sacrifice a little light to have a pristine front lens element and ensure high resale value.

It's not the transmission, it's refraction. Cheap filters are horrible and will seriously degrade the lenses IQ. If you're buying expensive UV filters that degrade IQ less and you damage one of those, you're out that same $100 or more.

There are a few limited applications where a UV filter is actually applicable. Just leaving it in front of your lens all the time is not one of them unless you enjoy wasting money on expensive lenses that will never see their full potential.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387_ucZqa/1

Last edited:

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Awesome choice! By far my favorite lens, and rarely leaves my 5D Mk II unless I am doing a 360.

I am saving up for the 70-200 -- its going to clean out my account! :eek:

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Seems hard to decide now, i really dinny want such a wonderful peace of glass being broken but i also want the best image possible.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
congrats! don't you love the feeling of getting new glass? too bad it doesn't happen very often.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Seems hard to decide now, i really dinny want such a wonderful peace of glass being broken but i also want the best image possible.

I think the reasonable thing to do, is to have a filter on hand... but not keep it glued to the lens permanently. If you're shooting in harsh conditions where you may be subject to sea spray, dust storms, flying debris, etc... then use your filter. Otherwise stow it and let the lens see things without any interference.

You can always keep your front element safe from scratches, scuffs, and even rain by using the lens hood... and no lens has a better hood system than the 24-70. Furthermore, nothing is better than protecting your lens when it's not in use than a good old lens cap. Get a pinch lens cap to make using the hood easier and removing/applying the lens cap more convenient so you're actually using it.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
congrats! don't you love the feeling of getting new glass? too bad it doesn't happen very often.

It is a lovely feeling, so far i have went from a 18-55 to a 50mm 1.8 then to a 28-105 USM which i loved, now moving onto the L glass i am smitten.

As i have only had my camera since November i know i can't use my glass to the best of its abilities yet as i am still learning my craft, though now i know that the results i get are down to my fault and not limitations of the lens.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
It's not the transmission, it's refraction. Cheap filters are horrible and will seriously degrade the lenses IQ. If you're buying expensive UV filters that degrade IQ less and you damage one of those, you're out that same $100 or more.

There are a few limited applications where a UV filter is actually applicable. Just leaving it in front of your lens all the time is not one of them unless you enjoy wasting money on expensive lenses that will never see their full potential.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387_ucZqa/1

From the two articles you posted:

"This is a negligibly lighter tone than without the filter, but for what it is worth we can say we lost a smidgen of contrast. One would be hard pressed to see the difference." - Ken & Christine, referring to the Hoya Super-HMC UV filter

"...and certainly lends credit to the idea that a high quality, multicoated UV filter has little effect on image quality." - Roger Cicala​
Unlike Roger at Lens Rentals, I'm not stacking 5 (or 50!) UV filters onto my lenses. :D

To the original poster, perhaps you could get a decent UV filter and try the lens with and without it. You could compare the difference between equally framed/exposed test shots (using manual mode, manual focus, delayed shutter and a tripod to ensure consistency between shots). Add in some comparisons that include potential flaring. Then balance those results against the desire to protect your front of your lens. That way your decision is based on your own experience and not someone else's opinion. If you find that the filter doesn't meet or exceed your expectations within the return period, you could return it and/or try a different one.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Awesome choice! By far my favorite lens, and rarely leaves my 5D Mk II unless I am doing a 360.

I am saving up for the 70-200 -- its going to clean out my account! :eek:

It is a good lens, but the extra weight over the 24–105L on the 5D Mark II was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, so to speak, and I went for the lighter one.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Just got myself a new bag and a jessops carbon fibre tripod. This one is very nice and sturdy and seems quite capable.

I also got a hoya circular polarising filter which i have tired cheeper filters of this type on my old lens on water and vegetation to great effect.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California

Couldn't agree more.

To the OP:

I'd rather save the money on something else rather than putting another piece of glass in front of that lens. I never use filters on any of my lenses (including a 24-70) and not a single one has gotten a scratch or has even come close to being scratched. If you want protection, use the lens hood. I would use the lens hood anyway but I see way too many people using lenses without a hood then complain when they get a tiny mark on their lens. The front elements on these things, especially with L series lenses, are a lot tougher than most people think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.