Got a 360.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Nov 26, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So... I got a really good deal on a new 360 this week. It'll be here tomorrow (with Gears 2). Any game suggestions? Disk or XBLA. :D

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Best single player game: Half Life 2 (Orange box)

GTA4 (its great)
    Pro Evo 2009

If your online and want some good multiplayer, COD 4 or WAW depending on how much you like old or modern weapons.

Im currently loving Far Cry 2 too, id recomend that for a good long single player campain.... not so much for multiplayer

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

XBLA: Worms. It's quite good if you think of it more as a remake of Worms 1. Don't expect Worms Armageddon or World Party.
    Castlevania SotN is very good indeed and just about playable with the 360 controller (best on PSP, IMO), great exploration game with some terrific boss battles.

Disc: GTA IV is hit and miss amongst most people. I love the series but didn't like 4 myself. Infact I'd say Saints Row 2 is more fun.
    Skate I liked. Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are must buys.
    Rockband is a good multiplayer game IMO.

Avoid Gears of War and Halo 3. They're the pinnacle of grunting, brute, glossy shooters with as much story and depth (Halo 3 excluding) as Jordan's latest book.

4. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I've got my PS3 which I have a ton of multiplatformers on. So I should have specified I'm mostly looking for exclusives.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Mass Effect, Fable 2? I cant think of many 360 exclusives I think are worth buying. Most good games are multiplatform.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Maybe start with Gears 1?

My recommendations:

Dead Rising
    Viva Pinata
    Halo 3

7. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

here are my top games

congrats! good choice.
    Like wwooden said, I'd pick up Gears 1. You can get it cheap and it is worth it for the story.

Gears 2 is SO great. It pretty much consumes all mine and my buddies gaming time. My gamertag is Blizaine51 if you ever want to send me a friend invite. We can rip it up in Horde :)

The NXE is actually really awesome. Being able to do parties from the dashboard is SO nice. And the way it is implemented is very cool. Netflix is also awesome.

Games I'd recommend checking out:
    - GTA4 - I'm a fan of this serious and in my opinion this was the best
    - Halo3 (slightly over rated, but still VERY fun)
    - Forza2 - great racing sim especially with the M$osft force feedback wheel
    - BioShock - amazing
    - COD4 and/or 5
    - Fallout 3
    - Orange Box (or you can just get Portal through XBLA)
    - Force Unleashed - really enjoyable, cool story
    - Assassin's Creed - awesome graphics, and atmosphere, slightly repetitive
    - Spiderman: Web of Shadows
    - Left4Dead

have fun :)

8. dubs macrumors member

Hmm...

Definitely Gears, but I see you've already got that.
    Maybe Earth Defense Force 2017, its like a bad Godzilla movie from Japan, for some mindless coop fun. Should be able to get it on the cheap too.
    Banjo-Kazooie 3 it's an interesting take on platformer's, only $40 too.
    Fable 2 if you like wrpg's
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    I would have to say Crackdown too, not sure if PS3 has this, it's like GTA, but you're more of a superhero.

My gamertag is: duberto

Feel free to add me if you want to play some gears online. Horde mode is definitely a blast. Enjoy your xbox!

9. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ya... crackdown. Another game I forgot about :p. I got the banjo demo, actually better than I expected (I expected crap). $35 on Amazon too. I guess I'll browse through the demos tomorrow. I played a ton of Gears today, some online co-op and some online horde.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

XBLA: Braid

Games: Mass Effect, Dead Raising, Left 4 Dead & maybe Fable II

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Just stay away from fighting games. That controller is horrible for them. Beyond that I don't really know. Currently I only have a Wii and Japanese Dreamcast.:D The PS3 broke and I decided it would not be in my best interest to invest any more money with Sony. Still thinking that maybe, just maybe I will get a 360.

13. redhotchillies2 macrumors newbie

I'm jealous. I've been really wanting a 360 for ages. Are you happy with it?

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

CoD 5
    GTA 4
    Dead Rising (fun, but don't expect intelligent game play)
    Oblivion
    Err, Fable 2 as well (still need to get that for myself).

15. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Left4Dead is a must- I can't believe how much fun (and how jumpy) it is. Play it with your mates on XBL and you're guaranteed hours of good fun.

COD5 is pretty sweet- complete the campaign to unlock the zombie mode which is a right blast when you get to the higher rounds.

FIFA09 is a good shout if you like your football games and, of course, make sure you pick up a copy of Halo 3- it's awesome online.

Far Cry 2 was a bit of a letdown- I would stay away from that if I were you- too much time spent driving around a dust bowl rather than actually doing something fun.

Bioshock is worth a play as well.

16. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup :D, I just hope it doesn't break :p.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Geometry War 2, wonderful fun...the look is great, tons of fun with a few friends, and over all a great game you can boot up fast, get into and play

COD: WoW and Left 4 Dead are both on my to buy list, so I'd have to recommend them!

Also COD4 is great and Halo 3 is worth the pick up IMO

18. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been playing CoD4 on my PS3, so I'll get 5 for PS3 too. I think I'll add 2000 M$ points today and get Castle Crashers and something else (maybe Geometry Wars). Braid is sweet too, that'll be my next XBLA purchase. I really need another controller, any deals tomorrow? I would just order on Amazon, but I want one before Tuesday (ETA for Amazon purchase)...

I tried tons of demos and played some more Gears 2 today. I got [spoiler?]into the worm[/spoiler?]. And I'll get Halo 3 next week.