Got a 40d, what lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ThemacNub, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Well I got a 40d finally and need to know what lense to get. I don't have a huge budget and was thinking of getting a 50mm 1.8, my budget can stretch a bit farther then this though. What would you reccomend. This is my first DSLR camera an need a good lens to learn off of. Thanks :D

2. peskaa, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The 50/1.8 is a lens that should be in every photographer's kit bag - well, until they grow out of it at least. It's cheap, takes great images and is tiny. So yes, buy one.

Beyond that, what kind of things are you planning to photograph? Are you likely to need a wide angle more than a telephoto...or do you need both?

3. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what ill need telephoto of wide angle wise, just wanted something that I could learn with than decide on whether to get a wide, telephoto, macro

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Well, you can give it a try with the 50/1.8 and see how you get on. I would imagine you'd want a wide angle first though, as that is how most people seem to work.

5. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Looked at the 28mm and its a fair bit more than the 50. Does the crop factor effect me at all, should i even be concerned about that?

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The crop factor definitely impacts on you. Multiply focal lengths by 1.6, so a 50mm is going to be equivalent to an 80mm (ie: short telephoto), and a 28mm to a 45mm.

The big problem with crop is that it stops your wides being wide, and pushes up the prices of getting a decent wide angle. Lenses you may want to look at include the 18-55 (equivalent to a 29-88mm) or if you're willing to spend the money, the 17-85.

Unfortunately photography is an expensive hobby/profession. My typical recommended kit for beginners is the 18-55, 50/1.8 and 55-250 - it's about as cheap as you can get, whilst covering a decent range without being terrible quality.

As you get better you'll start lusting after more expensive glass...

7. autacraft Guest

This all depends entirely on what you are wanting to shoot.

I have a 40D (great cam by the way!) and although I have a few lenses, the one that tends to nearly always stay on the body is my 50mm 1.4.

I mostly shoot 'candid' portraiture and street photography, and its often a very quick lift of the camera and 'click'. I much prefer getting in on the action (as it were) and using my feet rather than zooming in on subjects, so if this is the kind of work you want to create then absolutely go for your 50mm. It will be a great lens to learn on.

If however youre wanting to get into shooting landscape/nature/sport, then you will require a wider angle and a zoom would most certainly be needed for subjects you cant get close to (obviously!).

Just ask yourself a few questions about what you enjoy doing most - exploring the countryside perhaps? wandering the streets? visiting galleries? staging people? Each scenario requires a different approach for successful results.

Primes Vs Zooms always gets a debate going, but until you've discovered for yourself what you mostly like to do in photography and how you operate best, both are useful!

My other camera, a 5d Mk2 has one lens, a 24-70mmL and I have to say its just about the most perfect camera I've ever used and cant envisage ever needing a better one!

That said, I still love my 40D and 50mm setup!

Good luck!

8. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

OKey Doke.I'll get the 50m 1.8 and then in a few months (holiday) ill get wide angle lens. Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions filter wise, or will something cheap from ebay be more than sufficient? Its only being used for lens protection btw.

9. autacraft Guest

If its just to protect your glass, just go for a lens hood (ebay all the way for these!) rather than a filter. Will do the job just fine and way cheaper.

10. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

11. autacraft, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010

autacraft Guest

If by flower, you mean shape of hood? each hood is designed specifically for the lens type. The wider the angle of the lens, the more 'barrelled' light can enter so the lens hood is shaped to correctly block it out.

You can of course experiment with hoods and use light coming into the lens to different effect, but if you are purchasing 'lens specific' hoods, they are pretty much designed for that exact lens.

Best
    Nathan

12. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Also consider the stock kit lens, the EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6.

It's not the sharpest, the fastest, or the best built but it is very versatile and still has pretty good IQ. They go for pretty cheap as well because so many people dumped them when they bought their 40/50D.

13. wilhelmreems macrumors member

the 50 is a great lens to learn on.

the wide angle is OK to have, but you see a bigger difference in photos once you put them on a full frame camera which can really take advantage of the wide angles.

go with fixed while you get hold of the basics of taking a great shot.

i'd even suggest the 35mm fixed over the wide angle.

14. BigSky20 macrumors regular

Pick up a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II....and have some fun!

Note: you may need a second job for this lens.

15. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Got the camera today. Is there anyway to reset the camera back to its default factory settings? I don't feel comfortable enough changing settings myself at this stage

16. autacraft, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010

autacraft Guest

Click on the menu button (rear top left) then use your multi controller (the small joystick above large scroll wheel) and move to the right so that you are highlighting the third YELLOW set. You'll see 'Clear all camera settings' as the second option down the list, use your large scroll wheel to select and then hit the enter button (middle of the scroll wheel).

17. Korbin macrumors newbie

I faced the same delima when I got my 50D, not sure what type of photography I wanted to move into. I was looking for something that would not limit my shooting, while I was learning, while still creating great high quality images.

After agonising over countless flicker groups and comparison reviews, I decided on the 17-40L for the following reasons.

• On the crop body, its long enough for a good walk around lens, sure a little short, however, not short enough that you just need to take a step or two closer to your subject.
    • The L glass is super sharp and excellent quality.
    • The 17 -40 wont break the bank compared to some of the other L glass.
    • If (when) I decided (can afford) to go FF I now have an fantastic wide angle lens rather than a EF-S lens I have to sell.

I've been shooting for the past 10 months and have never been happier, able to do 95% of what I want without a regret. The only lens I've added to my kit is the EF 35mm 2.0, I was originally looking at the 1.4/1.8 50mm, however on the crop, the 35mm becomes pretty much 50mm which I find is such an excellent all round prime/portrait/walk around lens by itself.

The way I see it, buy quality glass and you'll never be disappointed and it will last for the long term rather than until the next latest/greatest senor comes along.

Good luck and happy shooting and congrats on the 40D, I love my 50D, only the 5D would replace it.

Korbin,

18. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I recommend renting some lenses to try before buying. That's how I found out what I really needed to spend money on. The 50/1.8 is cheap enought to just buy but beyond that I would rent a few. Or borrow lenses from friends and try that way.

19. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

The 50mm is so recessed the hood is almost pointless, I had one and it did nothing as the glass was so far back anyway. Its a great lens, but I wouldn't want it as my first. See if you can pick up a used 18-55mm IS. Its a great lens.

20. rpang macrumors member

How does the 17-40 shoot indoors w/o flash? Does the f/4 hold you back? I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 but have always wanted an "L". I cant decide whether its worth it to sell my lens and get the 17-40 instead.

21. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I bought the 40D with the 28-135mm kit lens, I have since bought a 24-70L and am seriously considering a 70-200L lens which would make my 28-135 lens surplus.

As to the 50 1.8, i borrowed a friends 30D and a 50 1.8 before i actually got my 40D (he had the 30D since it was first released) and very much enjoyed taking photos with it and very happy with the results, obviously it may not be suitable for all situations but it certainly is a good lens to have as the entry price is very low compared to many other lenses. You might surprised what you can do with just a 50 1.8 & the Canon 10-22mm lens.