Got a 7200rpm drive you'd recommend for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Sep 26, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Looking at all the options, currently have a stock Fujitsu 200GB 5400 rpm drive. I want to upgrade to a 7200rpm (as long as it does not void the warranty -- I have two years of Apple Care left).

2. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Fujitsu Siemens MHZ2320BJ 320gb works well for me. :)
    Data sheet can be found here.

It's a week old, so I can't comment on reliability, but I compared it to the datasheets for Seagate and Western Digital equivalent and this one seemed to win on performance and power consumption.

Yes it will void the warranty if you do it yourself. I waited until the week after my warranty ran out! :)

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Is that better than the Hitachi (my roommate's been saying how it consumes same amount of power as a typical 5400 rpm drive), the seagate, and WD Scorpio?

Because those are the three models I'm eyeing at the moment. The Fujitsu you have seems harder to find.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Hey that's really weird. I got mine from Germany as it worked out cheaper from there, but dabs had them listed as expecting stock on the 19th September, but now they're not listed. Perhaps there's a supply problem as I did a search for people having problems with them and I couldn't find anything. Très curieux.

I found the datasheet for the Hitachi here so you can make your own mind up on that, but it appears that the Fujitsu has a small edge on performance whereas the Hitachi has a similarly marginal edgo on power consumption.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

6. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Fair enough, if you're interested the data sheet for that is here. Certainly looks good on the power front, but it seems a bit hazy about numbers on the performance, doesn't give seek times etc., which leads me to asking the question why not? Both the Fujitsu and the Hitachi seem to win on power. Glanced at the Western Digital, but it looked pretty power hungry compared to the others.

Actually, I made a slight mistake with my last post: the Hitachi seems to have a very small edge on performance and power over the Fujitsu. Still, I'm more than happy with my Fujitsu. :)

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Actually, on reflection, the most valuable comparison would be for people to post some XBench scores. You've already seen mine of course, but for the hard drive only it's:

Sequential: 81.53
    Random: 45.98

For XBench, bigger the score the better.