got a bad iphone from ebay... need advice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glennyboiwpg, Dec 6, 2007.

1. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

Ok So I got an 'unlocked' iphone from ebay. I looked throughout his feedback and it was all positive... he had about 50 sales many of those iphones, they all seemed to have worked.

So I got mine from his this week and his anySim unlock didn't work.

Going back and forth in emails he had me go get the firmware version and its
    Firmware version 04.02.13_G. As I understand it, that firmware is un unlockable.

So I emailed him and asked him for a refund. I think he will give it to me but he is trying to convince me that a new version of anysim is going to be released "any day now".

QUESTION: Should I take the refund and send it back (might loose 50 bucks in shipping, but oh well) or do I believe him and wait for "any day now" to see if a new version is going to be released?

Please I need your advice!

2. yyaayy macrumors newbie

3. Cheggy Eggplant macrumors newbie

@yyaayy: That was useful. :rolleyes:

I'd go for the refund, seeing as he advertised it as 'unlocked', when it clearly isn't.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm ok lame?

OP: Get your refund. This any day now crud is simply BS. And why is shipping $50? Did your iPhone come with a box of iBricks?

5. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

no it traveled from LA to WInnipeg manitoba canada (just north of fargo north dakota)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Firmware 04.02.13_G IS CAN be unlocked. Just which bootloader is the question. What are the first 5 digits of the serial number?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you've put in a Fido or Rogers card and it did not say Rogers or Fido on the upper left?

8. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

I put a rogers card in and it said "invalid sim card"

but that sim card works in my free rogers phone. So I know the simcard works.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Would need first five digits of serial number to know whether the seller sold you a lemon or not.

10. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm at work at the moment but I'll get the serial number when i get home...

But the thing is I spent 600 dollars for a unlocked phone... If I wanted to play with the activete/upgrading/jailbreaking/downgrading/virginizing/unbricking processes known to iphone hackers I would have bought a 400 phone in minnapolois (8 hour drive away)

I didn't want to have to worrry about all this stuff. GRRRRR

11. lordgaino macrumors member

so you paid a $200 premium for the privilege of someone else downloading the necessary hacks and installing them on your behalf???!

You could have spent ten minutes on here looking through the threads and done it yourself.

No wonder these sharks are always circling when there are so many fish to eat.

12. hidehide macrumors 6502

ebay is full of morons now. My friend who doesnt know how to unlock iPhone is selling unlocked iPhone in ebay, and if he can sell it, he will look for friend to unlock for him, LOL

13. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

10 minutes?

So in 10 mintues I can hack it to activate it, downgrade it, virginize it, upgrade it, jailbreak it, so I can unlock it?

each "process" takes a different hackers app with different instructions and each app works only with specific versions of the iphone firmware, bootloader, os version....

well sir, if you can accomplish all that in ten minutes, then surely you are a better man/woman then I!

14. tonywob, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i kind of agree with this. get your refund, hop in the car and get yourself an iphone in the US. do the unlocking yourself. that way, you have no one to blame but yourself if things go wrong. ;)

16. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah... I'm going to get my refund, and either hold out for the real canadain iphone or get a palm.

the iphone is so beautiful but I hate hacker crap.... One wrong move and BOOM iphone == ibrick

Thats why i'm a programmer... I deal in software.... If I screw up software, all you have to do is reinstall it. NO hardware fried....

Hardware junkies have it different. one mistake and boom... motherboard fried.

I mean I can figure it out... and when this thing didn't work I have played with the hacker tools. I can figure them out... but surprise surprise I don't want to spend all my time playing with this thing trying to get it working.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Pity for those who don't know that they don't know what they are talking about.

18. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I think someone is confusing jailbreaking and unlocking...

19. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

big mistake. you'll be kicking yourself for years.