Got a brick out of the box

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hrv888, Oct 24, 2009.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

Just bought my first mbp from apple store today and when I get home it refuses to turn on. I got a brick from apple store. Plugged the power in an let it rest for almost half an hour and still won't turn on. Going to apple store Tom morning to demand a replacement. Will apple do anything to compensate for the hassle that I went through?? And the customer satisfaction definitely went down. Anybody had the same experience?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes, they'll replace it.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think by "compensate" means he wants it replaced by a better machine or for Apple to pay him for his trouble. OP am I correct?

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

They probably won't give you anything. you shouldn't ask either. Just be happy with a replacement. Maybe on the 2nd time. I used to work at a big box store and I've seen tonssss of bricks!

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

why would additional compensation be warranted?
    Did the apple store check to see if it was working before putting it on the counter?
    Did the OP check to see if it was working before leaving the store?

Electronics are light a light bulb one second it can work the next hmmmm.

Highly recommend firing the computer up before you leave.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes, I am aware. ;)

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Sorry didn't catch the sarcasm. :)

8. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't get to check it in the store. My bad on that part.
    A replacement is a no brainer and it should be done since the thing won't even power up. So I'm hoping they would give me a free laptop bag for the hassle of going back to the store to get it replaced. Lol. Or I'm just hoping for too much? Why did it even come out of the assembly line if it won't power up? It's not that it has some intermitent trouble in it that I'm demanding for a replacement instead of repair but on my case it's DOA. Will you guys be happy with that? Or would you also demand something?

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

My MBP died the second day I had it, and after I got it replaced I called AppleCare and they offered me a $200 credit to the apple store. It probably helps that I bought AppleCare since that is mostly profit for them.

I had already moved lots of data to it and done quite a bit of configuration, so I had to wait for them to move the data to a new machine. Of course I didn't have a TM backup because it was only a day old and I hadn't set that up jet. You aren't going through as much trouble unwrapping a brick, and they can immediately swap it out for a new one instead of making you wait for them to move the data.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might get a magic mouse for your trouble, but of course they might just give you a mouse pad. ;)

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I am going to say that you shouldn't "demand" anything. Just be subtle and don't be a prick but don't be a suck up either. MAybe you will get lucky and get something cool out of it!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...be super pi$$'ed off when you go in, that works every time:p

13. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Good advice. I'll be subtle about it. Lol. Hopefully they'll give me something. Even if it's just the laptop pouch lol. It's a waste of time to go back to the store. Maybe I was too excited about buying the laptop. It's the first time it ever happened to me. I'll be sure to check the product Tom in the store.

14. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Totally opposite of what appleguy said lol. Which one works the most? Haha get pissed and sound like a prick or be nice and say where's my compensation for the inconvinience caused? Sorry ain't enough lol

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think a good rule of thumb is if you be nice to Apple, Apple will be nice to you. Apple has to deal with lots of "pissed off" customers a day. Be the exception not the rule and Apple will be surprised and most likely nicer to you.
    Edit: ALso maybe exaggerating the distance to the Apple Store would be helpful to you cause. MAybe in conversation mentioned something like "Wow never expected this from Apple" or " Its kinda funny that this $1300 laptop sure was cheap"

16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Just to add, if you're going to talk to someone about it, ask to speak to the general manager.

Talking to an Apple store peon will get you nothing but a shrug and a glazed-over look, and talking to a tech will get you the same snarky, horn-rim-glasses re-adjusting "Well, you should've checked it before you left the store!" you got here.

I wouldn't go in acting like they owe you something, I'd just be sure to let the GM know that it sucked to spend that much money on a new laptop and walk out with a really shiny silver brick. Just be nice about it ;)

Either way, I feel your pain. My new MBP Kernel Panicked less than a week out of box, and it took me talking to 4 employees, a tech, and a manager over 2 phone calls to even get it looked at same day.

Worst case, you could always tell them you're going to return the laptop, and take your business elsewhere.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They'll replace it but I don't think they owe you anything above a pleasant & hassle free experience beyond that. Maybe offering to check the replacement with you before you leave the store would work.

18. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

If you have your receipt and you haven't caused any visible damage, shouldn't they replace it automatically? Suppose you don't check it before you leave and return 20-30 minutes later, do they assume you've damaged it? Are you recommended to check it before you leave?

I ask these questions so that I'm prepared in case this happens to me.

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think the OP has any question on if they will replace it. He wants them to give him something for his troubles.

20. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

At the minimum, you deserve a second set of Apple stickers! ;)

21. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

22. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

You have a way with words. The picture you have painted here is absolutely perfect.

23. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

i got a replacement but nothing else. one extra day in warranty? should that count? should have made them pay for the $5 bus fare that i spent going back and forth. lol

24. wingsky macrumors member

Eh that sucks, hopefully there won't be too much hassle and they'll replace it no questions asked.

Talking about free goodies though reminds me of when I bought my uMBP. Just as they were handing over the box I asked for a bag to put it in so I could carry it out to the car easily. To my surprise they brought out a crumpler messenger bag and gave it to me FOC! :)

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

How is the new one?