Got a cell phone for the summer... now what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lamina, Apr 29, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

My conversation partner/girlfriend (as seen in the Mac Rumors Members picture forum (or whatever it's called) has given me her cell phone to use while she's in China for the summer.

I want to backup her contacts to my PowerBook with Bluetooth. I've tried browsing the device but couldn't find anything about contacts. I've also tried in Address Book's little BlueTooth icon, but again to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

In most cases with cell phones the cell phone has to start the bluetooth transfer. In my experience this has always happened except for one phone. Have you tried this?

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Indeed.

If it's supported by Applications->iSync, you're set. As long as you're very careful and don't delete her contacts by mistake. Just create a new account on your Mac (for her), go there, and sync the contacts. Then they'll be in AddressBook format and won't be mixed in with yours.

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Dangit! It's a Samsung SGH-T609 and iSync tells me it's not supported. Oh well. Thanks for the tips everyone.

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Just a quick question: Why doesn't she want to use it in China? It'll work there. It's really helpful if something happens or if you just get lonely.

7. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i would like to know when it will be supported? soon i hope.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Aww! You guys are soo cute!

I'm jealous...:p

(I actually don't have anything to say about the topic at hand)

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I would imagine the roaming rates are outrageous.....

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

They can be, but T-Mobile is one of the cheapest of the big four US carriers. I find it really convenient when travelling, and I also feel safer.

11. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Yeah the roaming charges would be ridiculous, so she's got her own phone there now.

Xander562, thanks, I'm a really lucky guy. I just got off the phone with her for an hour. Thank Jeebus for dial-throughs.

Edit: PS... I only returned to this forum because I typed in the model of the phone (SGH-T809) and Macintosh into google, and this thread showed up!

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If you can connect it to the computer via USB or some other type, you can do an iSync. I do that with my pebl all the time since my computer doesnt have bluetooth.