Got a clamshell iBook!!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by likemyorbs, May 21, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Here is the next addition to my collection. i've wanted this one for a while. its got 366mhz processor, 320mb ram. and i partitioned the hard drive so it dual boots between tiger and os 9. i also took the airport card out of the iMac g3 sitting in my basement and put it in, i figured it's more useful in a laptop. anyway im really happy with my purchase, it was $90 with shipping on ebay. here's some pics...

Attached Files:

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Awesome buy, they're pretty groovy looking machines. :p I've got a 300 MHz BlueBerry one myself, it always gets intriguing stares from strangers. :)

3. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

haha, probably because they're wondering why you still use it. it's so 10 years ago but some people dont appreciate old macs. im starting my summer english class in a week, im gonna whip this thing out and see how many looks i get

5. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Nice! I've never had the privilege to see one in real life. :(

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You can mod them to have 1024x768 screens.

My friend had one (300 MHz blueberry) and it was slow. Slower than my 300 MHz PowerMac G3 that I used at the time (2006) Although the G3 was maxed out with 768 MB RAM and a 120 GB 7200 RPM HD. I had a DVD burner in it too. Then one of the ide buses died so I was limited to 2 HD's so the DVD burner and the HD went in. Out came the ZIP drive.

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It looks great. I'm in love with the back of it.

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Mine is the same color and same specs. When I bought it in 2003 it cost me $410 without a battery or Airport card. I'd say they've come down in price a bit :eek: I still use it at home sometimes. The battery I bought quit working about 2 years ago, the sound quit, and the screen is dim, but it still boots up and runs. I would highly recommend getting a 512Mb stick of RAM for it if you really think you'll use it. I know with 320mb in mine, just running Safari in Tiger is enough to chew up that 320 in a heartbeat.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I have a Lime 466SE, upgraded the RAM and HD. Still very useable for a lot of things, as long as it's not graphics intensive.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

im playing the sims on it right now, works like a charm. i love this thing. i hope it will survive another 20 years so i can show my future kids...

12. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Wow nice buy not bad for $90 looks in good condition?

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Neither have I, but I would buy one if Apple came out with an updated Macbook that took a lot of design cues from the clamshell iBooks.

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

for me, the best thing about the design is the rounded edges that make typing on the thing so much more comfortable than the squarebooks that came after it!

16. spue2001 macrumors member

17. ozyr macrumors member

ozyr

Looks excellent! I love the look of the old ibooks.
    Hope to have one myself someday!

Congrats!

18. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

YES!!!

19. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

They are great, from the days of Great Apple design innovation.

I have a Lime green 466. Only ever needed to change the battery once, still works well as a back up internet browsing machine.

20. MacTech68, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Nice.

I still have my old 466 Graphite and won't part with it. I actually pulled it out the other day with a view to replacing it's HD.

As a tech, what I always liked about these was their durability. I never saw a broken hinge/clutch assembly, nor a broken display. They withstood a lot of abuse unlike most other iBooks and PowerBooks (Titanium G4 hinge, anybody?).

But, they're a pain to replace the hard drive, and they did have trouble with DC in connectors breaking free of the DC in board and modem port connectors constantly breaking.

Other than that, they're a great, sturdy design and I've always wondered why Apple never went back to an "education" portable with a handle again.

And to those with the Lime, I'm a tad jealous. I always wanted one. They're so..... well..... LOUD! :D
    ________
    Suzuki World Rally Team history

21. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Ahh, yes these iBooks are great machines. I have a white G3 iBook (SquareBook) but it doesn't have a charger right now :(. It actually works perfect though, I love the keyboard on these things. Congrats, and enjoy your vintage iBook. :)