Got a dent in my MBP, Warranty Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadow25, Apr 24, 2010.

1. shadow25 macrumors newbie

To start off, I know it isn't covered under my warranty..:(

Well, I got this MBP probably about a month ago as a trade for my Dell XPS 16. Its a 2.8Ghz Core2Dou w/ Matte Screen. It was purchased in Feb 2010, so it has a decent amount of warranty..

Unfortunately, a week after getting it, I dropped the charger on it while wrapping up the cord.. I thought the screen had cracked and was pissed! Pulled it out, and the computer works perfect.

My question is, besides LCD issues (if my LCD goes out, ect), is the rest of the computer still covered? I can still claim it on my insurance (went straight to the insurance place after getting it and got a Personal Article Policy for 3k on it), but as long as it works, I figure cosmetic issues aren't too important. But if the HDD goes out, I would like Warranty Support on that.

Here is the picture, its a little dirty, but the dent should be obvious.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah it should be. That's just a cosmetic issue, has nothing to do with the HD. Apple must prove that you caused the issue to refuse to fix it

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you're near an Apple Store, book a genius appointment, let them look it over, probably do some tests, then mark it down on the information tied with the Serial Number.

This way if something does go wrong, they can see it was fine when the dent was present, and not blame that.

4. shadow25 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is an Apple Store about 10 mons away so I'll probably do that on Monday

I love my MBP.. In sept, I'm probably gonna buy an i7 mbp, I'm just waiting for Steam and L4D2 on MacOSX

5. shadow25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed a little black spot on the side of the screen (about 5 inches from the dent near the bottom of the screen), is this a common issue? I can only tell if the screen is off or its on a black image. Its about the size of a quarter. Other than that, I can't see it at all. The screen works fine besides when its off and I see that spot.

I've seen some posts that it is a common issue, and that Apple will replace it, but I'm afraid they will deny it and void my warranty over the dent! I haven't had time to take it in yet (paranoid too since my laptop bag will stick out in a ghetto mall)

Edit: Its actually smaller than a quarter.. More of a dime

6. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Does the dark spot look like there is no light behind that area of the screen? I have a bit of that going on on my PB, but those lights are from the bottom. I'd be a bit surprised if they helped you at all in terms of the screen. But do what you said you were going to do, go to genius bar and ask them.