Got a free 128k and some other things....

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Theclamshell, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Theclamshell, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I saw an ad on craigslist saying,

"I have an old Mac - 1984 with a couple of external drives. (Also have a "case" - this is the enormous backpack case.) Also an eMate with all the manuals/info. All for $25.00. (Would like to sell it to an interested Mac person.)"

I gave him a call and he said it was a 128k. I was in shock. My dad and i there and met a really nice older gentlemen. He had a lovely house on the river and had been a teacher. His wife had passed away so he was trying to get rid of his possessions.

He had also dug up an old powerbook 170 in a nice teal case he also gave me. There is an odd connector sticking out of the hinge on the powerbook. Can anyone identify it? I went to hand him the $25.00 and he would not accept it. He told me to keep it.

I have included some pictures of everything. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm probably going to turn the 128k into a fish tank or iPad holder, it is so old there is really no practical use for it.

I am just kidding!! I would never turn a 128k into a fish tank or iPad holder. That would be sick! I know what they are.

Attached Files:

2. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Some more

Attached Files:

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  4. Theclamshell, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks TCD!!

Some more...

Attached Files:

5. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

If the 128K Macintosh works, why turn it into a fish tank/iPad holder? I think if it works, even though it's obsolete, keep it as a computer.

What a nice man to give you all of that stuff for free!

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, thats a classic. And, it going to only become cooler and more classic as time passes. I'd keep it up and running.

7. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

8. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

It was a joke guys! check the white text under my post it says,

"I am just kidding!! I would never turn a 128k into a fish tank or iPad holder. That would be sick! I know what they are."

9. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

I don't see where you posted that, so I didn't know it was a joke. ;)

10. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

I know, I used the white text trick :p I just did it to have fun. Anyone who would actually do that is one sick mo fo :D

11. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Oh hardy har har. :p

12. Aleco macrumors regular

Clever

13. tyche macrumors 6502

That's the video out to display on an external monitor. Back then there was lots of "standards" for video connections. It was called an HDB15. Did a quick search on ebay and something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-VGA-Monitor-Mac-Video-Port-Adapter-Converter-/360189462385

Supports only 640x480 so keep that in mind when pushing the output to certain modern screens which might not like that size.

edit: you might even have the cable parts. Maybe it's that one with the on/off jumpers. You need to convert from 15 pin to down to vga.

14. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome. Thanks very much for the info.

15. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

As noted, it's a Mac display port. I remember fitting one of these years ago. :eek:

A little digging brings up a name I remember: "Envisio". This product shipped around 1991 and fitted the PB140/170 which shared a large amount of hardware.

It seems it's a "Envisio Notebook Display Adapter (NDA/30)"

GoogleBooks has a scan of InfoWorld 1991 announcing the product. Check that price! :eek:

I can't recall if this one needed a driver or not. Also, whilst the display connector may be fitted, IIRC there was an internal card that completed the upgrade.

BTW, well done on your acquisition and your ability to recognize what shouldn't be converted to a fish tank! ;)

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Nice collection edition!!

I really wish I had an old powerbook. I think I am going to search local craigslist for some early OS X capable iBook or Powerbook that I can use at coffee shops I frequent.

I get enough strange looks wielding an old 3rd generation iPod, I can't imagine how people are going to react to an old Mac-Top! ;) .

17. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

That is very cool. You could buy a new macbook air for that price! hanks for the information.

The looks you would get would be priceless. If i ever get batteries that work on my eMate I'm going to take it out and see what happens.

18. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Further, MacDriverMuseum has a disk image of the Envisio drivers:

http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/video.shtml

:D