Got a free (broken) iMac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garirry, Nov 16, 2013.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hi,

Today, I just got a free iMac G3. However, it is broken, it doesn't power on at all.
    This is an orange slot-loading G3, specs unknown.
    What I noticed, is that when I push the power button, the display makes a short buzzing sound, similar to when you touch an old CRT TV, just very short. No fans spinning, no hard disk sound, nothing.

I really want to repair this mac, since this is why I accepted to get it free. My guess is that it's either the PRAM battery, SMC/PMU (or whatever it's called) or less likely the power supply (because the computer stopped working over time, not while using it).

Thanks for all advice.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

3. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Umm... thanks, but I want to repair it, not transform it into a fishtank...

4. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

You will find very quickly the limitations of this older machine. Unless you were going to retrofit an LCD screen and a Mac Mini, then a Macquarium is your best option..

A G3 processor will barely load google now-a-days.

5. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

I perfectly understand that G3s are super-duper slow, but I want to repair it so it can be working again. An old computer will work fine with old OS and old software (excluding the use of the Internet). I'm a collector; what a collector does? Collect stuff! I got this iMac and I will keep it until I die or my house burns.

I just want to know what is the problem and how do I get it fixed.

Mods are nice, I just don't want them, plus I don't have that much money to buy all this or that much space at home to store everything...

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

7. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Rebuild

Power supply caps, motherboard caps. Known to go bad with age and/or use replace and should be good to go. Ifixit has great take apart guides.

8. Xandros, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Xandros macrumors regular

9. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Yes, it still makes a short buzzing sound when pushing the power button.

10. Xandros, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Xandros macrumors regular

11. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Go ahead and open it up, there are plenty of guides online, try ifixit for the best ones with pictures.

Once you have it open replacing the battery and inspecting most of the caps is much easier. Opening should only require a regular philips screwdriver, iirc.

You can get the batteries at battery stores, Amazon, etc. in my experience general stores like Target and Walmart do not have them, at least down here. Amazon seems to have the least expensive ones.

12. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

The cheapest are ebay (plus free shipping). Since I'm in Canada, Amazon is 3x more expensive than the US Amazon. I'll order the battery, and I'll try to repair it.

Also, this computer has a bunch of stickers on it. How do I remove them?

13. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Goo Off, WD40, basically any degreaser. Just rub gently in a circular motion on the sticker residue.

14. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Mine had the exact same issue when I exchanged the 400MHz logic board for a 700MHz. Turns out the power supply part of the board (on the side; detaches) was dead. I re-used the power supply card off my 400MHz board and powered on just fine.

So that's my guess.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The name of that extra little power board is the PAV board. The OP's symptoms seem to indicate that is the faulty part. I believe they are swappable between all slot loading G3 iMacs.