Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4tune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I got a free Powermac at work. The office I work at went all PC so they were junking the last of the macs. They were on their way to the dumpster-so I asked if I could grab one. Hard drive was removed for security(nicely done -not ripped out)
Longtime Mac user so want to see if I can get it working--just for kicks-if not at least I'll have a decoration.
Obviously it will need a new hard drive to start-might do upgrade processor/video card later
Any good sites that are geared specifically to upgrading early G4s? Lots of funky hardware transitions during period so I don't want to buy incorrect hardware

The model
2001 Powermac G4-nicknamed "Digtal Audio" The low-end model right before Quicksilver came out
466mhz
512 ram (!)
5 PCI slots (!!!)
zero G hard drive
ATI rage 128 pro 16mb

iDM

macrumors 6502a
It is inconceivable to me that people would throw away any computer let alone something as fast as that. They can donate these machines to many charities and even get tax write offs. Furthermore I am always open to donations of any kind.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
iDM said:
It is inconceivable to me that people would throw away any computer let alone something as fast as that. They can donate these machines to many charities and even get tax write offs. Furthermore I am always open to donations of any kind.
I agree - Where are you G4tune? Any more Macs in the junkheap, did you pick the cream of the crop?

It's true that they shouldn't just be tossed, at the very least recycled...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
ebay it! (if you already have a mac). such an upgradeable machine like that could go for a couple hundred bux.

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
seeing as a bought my 533 digital audio for a couple hundred bucks...i'd say you got a good deal...go get the others!

BTW, look for cheap (used) Dual Processors for it...really gives them a kick.

Ikstej24

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
You can really make the Digital Audio go a long way. Best bet is to try out macsales.com. They have just about everything you will need.

G4tune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Thanks for the links-It will be fun trying to get it running again.

To clarify--sorry about not being more clear. There was not a huge pile of old powermacs, only 2, the other was the earlier model G4 (400mhz-I think it is sometimes refrered to as "yikes") There were about 12 ancient Dells as well but a mentally glanced over them.
Something VERY bad happened to that other Mac. There was some burnt/melted plastic on the back where the power supply is. And the hard drive was "removed" as well---I think they used a crowbar. It was not pretty.

I agree it was a awful waste of old hardware-I'll mention it to the HR people to recycle them out properly

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
My college are about to upgrade their old G4s, when they upgraded from the B&W G3s the IT guys threw them into a lockable container.
They had to make sure they were unusable, my lecturers said they just stood there in shock watching bits of G3s bounce around a container.

They're currently locked in a battle with the college's IT and finance depts. trying to save the G4s to give to students as they can't sell them.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i got a old g4 that im selling 500mhz 640mb 80gb dvd ati 8500
if any of you old PM lovers are interested
nice job on the free powermac

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
I got a QS 733, 1.5 gig ram, 40 gig HD, CD-RW, Zip 250 and running 10.3 for free from my dads work. It was "dead from a power-outage. The IT guy has not clue what the cuda switch did.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
good deal man!
that is how i got a free server, this internet company went under and they tossed everything. i got $4k for everything. i don't know how much it was worth, but it was free cash!

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
jessica. said:
good deal man!
that is how i got a free server, this internet company went under and they tossed everything. i got $4k for everything. i don't know how much it was worth, but it was free cash!
that makes me wanna cry how wasteful lagre companys are

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Fire Damage

My father-in-laws company had a fire after hours last month. The insurance company paid out to replace all of the computers. When the recovery company came in they tossed several PC's in the trash heap.

I would have been dumpster diving if I had known.

They where mostly HP's. I think they saved one or two laptops and a couple of CRT screens.

I don't think they even tried to turn them on... They where being paid by the job to clean out the building, so the sooner they finished the more money they made.
What a shame. I'm hoping some of the kids in the neighborhood did the dumpster diving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.