Got a good offer for 2010 iMac, need advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BruceiD, Aug 17, 2012.

1. BruceiD macrumors member

Hey everyone!
    So I got a 2010 21.5 iMac (i3 - 12GB RAM - 500GB HD)
    I suddenly got an email with an offer of 800 euro (computer costed me 1150 with student discount+RAM upgrade).
    The woman would come and pick it up at my house (just saying)

1. Is this a good offer?
    2. Should I take it and buy a 2012 iMac?
    3. Should I rather get an SSD installed instead of buying a 2012 iMac?

Thanks in advance, Bruce!

2. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I sold my 2011 21.5" iMac (i5 / 8gb Ram / 500gb HD) about a month ago for $1,050 and the guy that bought that from me was crazy to spend that much. You can buy the computer you're selling, from the refurbished apple store, for less than she offered.

If it's legit, take that and run away.

On a side note: if she suggests sending you a money order and you sending back the overage, its a scam.

3. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

Do you know the person who made he offer? Were you selling the computer online somewhere? If you "suddenly got an email..." it might be a scam.

4. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

I don't know her and I just sent her an email with the question how she wanted to deal with the money.
    Thanks for the input btw, I'm selling my iMac on a famous Belgian second hand website.

5. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

She would bring Cash with her, thoughts?

6. chappy87 macrumors regular

Not at your home, meet somewhere public. You have no idea who may really show up at your home, and potentially take more than just the MacBook- without paying.

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I'm curious how would one go about selling an iMac in a public setting? I mean I'm sure the buyer would want to test it and its a big of a drag to carry it out to somewhere.

8. chappy87 macrumors regular

I agree, but I know someone who ended up losing most of the expensive stuff in his house when he set up a sale from home, and they arrived and held him up whilst shifting it out. Surely not worth the risk?

9. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Indeed, I looked the woman up on Google and turns out she got a fitness blog.
    It's kind of risky but I live with my parents and they will be BOTH and so will be my brother.
    The only thing I wonder is if it's worth it to do?
    Do you guys think selling my imac for 800 and buying a 2012 imac (base model) is a good move or just utterly stupid?

10. psharp macrumors member

When selling something to an unknown buyer off something like craigslist, you always want to do it somewhere public. If you're selling electronics you're going to want to demonstrate that your product works and for that you generally need to be indoors. As far as I'm concerned it's generally good practice not to let strangers inside your house. Take it down to a local coffee shop and meet with them, if you feel strange about that bring your brother or parent. Show the customer what they want to be shown.
    800 for that computer is a pretty good deal if you don't mind putting up some extra to get a new one, especially if you can wait for the next release (hopefully soon). Otherwise if you can't afford being without a computer for that amount of time then it might not be worth selling.

11. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info!
    I'm able to function without my iMac since I have an iPad, iPhone and my brothers Windows PC that I can use. I'm just a little bit scared of the transaction.
    By the way, if I format my hard drive (mac os journaled) will it everything including passwords? iTunes data? App store?

12. Liquinn Suspended

13. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Yes!
    The buyer will come pick it up Friday!
    My parents will be there obviously ;-)
    I'll update this topic after Friday to let you know how it went.