Got a mac as a gift and I have no clue....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dirty'smac, Jul 5, 2009.

1. dirty'smac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. This is my first post so if please look at it as a hello introduction and a help from anyone thread. I'm on several forums and know the etiquette of searching and doing one's own research. I just got a mac from a friend who had just bought a new mac. I'm very familiar with pc. Completely new to mac. I don't even know which one I really have, what its stats are, what it needs etc. I'm not even sure which category to look under to learn more. Here's what I know.
    1 Its white.
    2. Its white all over
    - maybe a year or a little longer older.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0
    Serial Number: W872988TYA2
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Though i really don't know too much what I'm doing, I'm loving so far what I can. I just recently got a dell xps m1330 and haven't touched it since i've gotten this.
    Again, please forgive me for being lazy. Work starts early in the morning and I'm really lost as where to start. Any advice from any of you on any upgrades or info will be very appreciated and I'll gladly help with any future issue that I can. Thanks

2. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    It's not hard to pick up on, but you won't be a pro overnight. A MacBook is a rather generous gift. Think of specific questions and give MRoogle a whirl. He answers positively most times :) Enjoy your quest!

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Apple has a very helpful section of their website dedicated to those who are new to the Mac. You might find it pretty useful, and if you have any questions about the interface or anything else on the Mac, feel free to ask here :)

And your Mac is the Rev B MacBook, which came out in 2007.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I just got a new mac about 6 months ago and now it is very easy to use for me, it was actually very easy to use a couple weeks after I got it. I would check out apple's website for video tutorials on mac features and transferring from windows to a mac. These really helped me in the first few days I had the computer. And also what I find the best is just to play around with the computer for a while until you get the hang of how things work. If you have specific questions, search Mroogle, or if it is not answered there, just make a new thread. It is very easy to find help at this forum so feel free to ask questions.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You can upgrade your memory to 2GB (or even 3GB) and the machine should last you for a while. Good luck with your new Mac.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

This made me smile (for a good while everything coming out of Apple was white) :)

A MacBook's a great laptop. As others have said check out Apple's page, MRoogle and come here whenever you have questions (however dumb they seem ;))

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I've only had my Macbook for 2 weeks and I've got the hang of it pretty fast. I've always been a PC but I got fed-up when my last Laptop got Bluescreen and registry errors and stuff. So instead of claiming on the warranty I went for a Macbook