got a mac, few quick questions about it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by weekend warrior, Feb 7, 2009.

1. weekend warrior macrumors member

so i finally got a mac, i've been flip floping between wanting everything from ibooks to unibody macbook pros. But i found a early 08 macbook on craiglist for $650, and took that.

So I'm using it now and i have a few questions. I've been searching but cant find answers to everything.

1. the macbook didnt come with a restore disk, I'm i right to think i can get one from apple for ~$35?

2.https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do does not find my serial number. another site did, and from it i found out my book was made in march 08, so applecare should still be on it, and i want to extend it. But why wont the apple site find the serial number?

3. whats the best site to find apps for it like that fan control one

thanks for the answers.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You didn't ask the person on craigslist for the disks that came with the computer?

Very suspicious.

3. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

It is most likely stolen. Then the person called apple so then they might have made it so that you cannot put applecare on it and they will not fix it or help you with it.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'd agree that the mac is probably stolen, but you might take a trip to an apple store to verify your serial. The genius bar can help you figure out what the deal is.

http://www.apple.com/retail to find the nearest store to you. Make a genius reservation.

Apple should send you the restore disks for free I think if you just call them. I've never heard of a cost being associated with getting a set of restore disks. Just tell them you lost them when you moved or something...I don't know.

5. msevild macrumors regular

Can you paste your serial number into a reply here? A couple facts about Apple serial numbers.

They are 11 characters in length. The third character should be a number which represent manufacturing year and the two characters after that represent the week of that year. There are no "o" characters in the serial number, but rather zeroes, so maybe try that out.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For software you can look around MacUpdate or Versiontracker.

They both have a bloody long list of software for almost anything.

And the fan control software is called smcFan Control.

7. weekend warrior thread starter macrumors member

I dont think it was stolen. The previous owner still had some things on it from early 08. the user name and email i used to contact all matched. It could be stolen, but i dont think so.

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
    this site found a match for the serial number, apples site didnt though. So i know the number i was using was right.

Ill try calling apple to see what the deal is.

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

hypothetical situation here;

What would happen if someone did, in fact, own a stolen laptop, not stolen by them, and they then took it to the geniuses. Would the geniuses be like "you have a stolen laptop, give it back" or would it just be awkward?

If they received reports that it was stolen, would that be reason to remove the serial from the system?

9. weekend warrior thread starter macrumors member

thats what I was wondering. Or mabey the previous owner never registered it with apple?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Where did you get the serial? Beneath the battery bay or from software?

11. weekend warrior thread starter macrumors member

12. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

coconutIdentityCard, available on Freemacware.com, can tell you if the Mac with your serial number is stolen (among other things, like where and when it was made.)
    :apple: