Got a mac portable and a cube *edit* pics

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Theclamshell, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Today, i bought a Mac portable from a friend at school for only $45. I was surprised to see it was in good shape and had the carrying case and 2 manuals. It does have a problem though. It will turn on but only lines will appear on the screen. I think its just a battery issue and if i get a powerbook 100 charger it should work.

Also, a couple weeks ago i got a cube for $100 of for craigslist. It came with the monitor too! and the disks and a Getting started guide :) i was happy to finally have one of these beauty's.

So what do you guys think, good deals?

P.S. By mac portable i mean the Macintosh Portable. The 1989 16 pound laptop lol

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"Mac portable" could mean anything. But sounds like you got a $45 piece of art.

Cube is a beauty... Sounds like it works and it's worth it for you.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

As long as the Apple Portable is a G3 or later, that's a hell of a deal.

I wish I was that lucky, but nobody here throws out old Macs, they all think they own the Last Golden Xenu-Endowed Kromdar Crystal mac/car and it's worth more than their double-wide trailer.

...Amarillo, Texas...yup...

As for the cube, oh how I've lusted after one. If you're apt with computers, you should try shoving an Intel Mac Mini in that case :D

4. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha G3 its 16Mhz :p I would rather eat poop than defile a Cube :eek: :p

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

It almost gives you goosebumps to put a mac portable and an air next to eachother. How far computers have come in 20 years.

6. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

yes. You could fit like 5-10 mba's in a portable. But, the portable did have a 10 hour battery ;)

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have *both* an M5120 and an M5126 working with rebuilt batteries, cases for both of them. I should take some photos of both of them together, working, and post them on here. Anybody thinks that would be neat, let me know.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm wondering. If an Apple battery has Li-Po or Li-on cells, does it matter what you put in it? I mean could you put a Ni-MH in it (even if it meant seven minutes of battery life, haha)?

8O My mouth literally hung open at the site of those...please tell me how many four leafed clovers you put in your salad.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Mac Portable refers to the Macintosh Portable, released in 1989. The OP was referring to a specific computer, not a generic term.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...sh+portable&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

10. mags631 Guest

Very nice! Now, what are you going to do with them?

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

12. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC, i would love pics of them working.

MrCheeto, you hit the nail on the head, also i would like to play gta iv on the portable

13. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

14. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Check out the guy on the right in the open jumpsuit. Wow. I hope it isn't you. 1989, it was a very bad year. :) How did he manage to get in front? The team must have died when they took a look at the final photo. As bad as having someone moon your shot. I can't look at anything else. He just knows he's so cool.

Attached Files:

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto