Got a mac pro case, anything special to build osx86 inside?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hookem12387, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Am I going to need any special size boards or what not to fit a single quad-core built-by-me osx86 pc inside? Any tips?

2. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I don't know for sure but I believe this may be against forum rules because:

For us to tell you (if we even do know how) would be fine for a Windows machine but you're saying for an OSX86 system. The problem with that is we would be breaking the law, and it really exists, that you can only put OS X on a system designed and shipped from Apple, Inc.

That is called breaking the EULA, or End User License Agreement, that specifically says this.

Sorry but there are websites out there that you can look this up on but on MR it is against the rules.

~Crawn

3. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

ya you're probably dealing with some customization. I say great a standard ATX board - even a pentium II board for free and see how things line up. Will give you an idea of what you're up against.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

The time, effort, and money some people are willing to waste for a sub-par experience.

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

isn't it a proprietary board? Meaning non-ATX/BTX/mATX/eATX? I don't think you'll be able to fit anything in there other than the motherboard specifically designed for that model case. Unless you're willing to do a lot of modding/welding/shielding/sawing, etc. Then, of course, you still have to use a hacked version of OSX. It'll probably be slow and a fire hazard :)

I would have just saved up and bought a used dual-core or single quad-core off ebay for $1200 - $2000.

Or maybe I just misunderstood the question. If that's the case - my apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.