Got a Mac Pro today, but need a Wireless USB dongle. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ben.franklin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ben.franklin macrumors newbie

Spent £4.5k on a Mac Pro, which was put together as a bespoke model by a Mac reseller for me.

However, upon receiving it, it appears it has no Airport in it. Now I know I should have checked for this before purchasing, but I stupidly assumed that £4.5k would also get me a wireless internet connection.

Anyway, having spent all that money, I cannot justify spending barely anything more (my boss would go mental) so I'm looking for a cheap option. I've been told that this would be appropriate for my needs: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3250649/D-Link-AirPlus-G-DWL-G122-Network-Adapter/Product.html

Your thoughts?

Buying an Airport Extreme probably isn't an option as I've heard it's incredibly difficult to fit. And the company are asking for £160+VAT to fit it for me.

So it seems to me the USB dongle is the way to go. If this doesn't fit the bill, what else should I consider?

Help! :(

2. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

From apple:
    im no genius, but can you just simply buy the apple one? i dont think i would spend that kind f cash and put in a 3rd party wifi option but thats just me.

EDIT* sorry, for some reason i didnt read your last bit about it being hard to put in. can it really be that hard? :O

3. eyecool macrumors regular

Can the reseller you got your mac pro from help? If not, that dongle isn't a bad way to go. Use the usb cable to attach the dongle. Don't dangle the dongle straight usb in to the tower. I did that on another tower and have a broken dongle on my desk because of it.

4. ben.franklin thread starter macrumors newbie

"im no genius, but can you just simply buy the apple one? i dont think i would spend that kind f cash and put in a 3rd party wifi option but thats just me."

Believe me, if that was a possibility, I would go for it. I just can't justify it at this point to me boss, after he just bought it for me trusting it was the 100% right machine.

Feel cheated that the reseller didn't give me the option when I bought it. I just assumed it would be in the machine. They saw my needs, and the bespoke model was missing that crucial element that they SHOULD HAVE fitted.

Thanks for the advice. Will probably go for the USB dongle.

5. eyecool macrumors regular

Just don't let that dongle dangle! ;)

6. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

7. Catch Them macrumors regular

if you buy it at an apple store they can install it for you free of charge.

if they have one in your area., otherwise theyre actually quite easy to install.
    just takes patience and steadiness.

8. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ifixit.com has some step by step instructions on installing and removing airport cards.

Honestly, even if it has to be out of pocket I would go for the airport card. Those USB dongles just don't do the job like an internal card.

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

I have problems with USB. Finding a one that was compatible was difficult and then it still didn't work perfect causing kernel panics.

I would of gone for the internal card but didnt have confidence to fit it. After months using the internet through my ibook I got a wireless through the attaching a wireless gaming adaptor from blekin through the ethernet. Bit of pain to setup but after it is fine.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If the new mac pros use the same card as the old mac pros (both intel versions), I have a new in box Mac Pro wireless card for sale.

Let me know if you are interested. Seems easy to install, just like a graphics card.

12. Catch Them macrumors regular

USB dongles cost (for a "decent" one) cost the same as the airport card if not more. and frankly just arent worth it. besides speeds may be reduced due to throughput and aswell as installing possible conflicting or unsupported drivers.

theyr enot the same card according to apple.

13. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Nope the airport cards that the 2008 mac pros use are not the same as the airport cards in the older mac pros.