Got a Macbook Air in China - Exchange in US without Receipt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theMaccer, Jul 30, 2009.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Hi Guys,

Here is my situation. I went to China for vacation and got a Macbook Air as a gift. But the MBA has a bad screen and I would like to exchange one in the US. Problems is that I do not have the receipt. It is the latest model with 1.86GHz. Im sure they can just go to the back room and get me a refurb one, but will I be able to get a brand new one? And yes it will be within the 14 days when I get back to the states. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

AppleCare is worldwide coverage. If your Mac has a problem, you can get it fixed at any Apple store, anywhere.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You will need to argue with them to get a replacement; they will most likely try and fix it first.

4. waiwai macrumors regular

true.

To OP. What do u mean by "bad screen"? If you are referring to dead pixels. Apple policy is if its under 4-5, they will not offer a replacement. You can do Applecare repair on it, but even then you'll have to make your case as its written in their policy that 4-5 dead pixels are acceptable (by their standards). But after spending some time with the rep they'll do the repair. But a replacement? You'll have a slim chance of getting a replacement first. The fact that you got it as a gift is also something that will give you a disadvantage when negotiating repair/replacement as well. Normally if its within 14 days of purchase you can just ask for an exchange or a refund with some persuasion. However, since you have no proof of purchase, u won't have very much to justify a full fledged replacement.

of course if its like your screen flickering in and out or lots of banding or something else other than dead pixels... then u just show them at the apple store near u or an authorized repair place and they can just look ur machine up in the database and apply apple care.

Anyways good luck :) Both my Macbook Pro and Macbook in the past 2 years that I ordered had crap LCD's with over 4+ dead pixels (big ones clustered together) on each... Spent over 5 hours on the phone with sales rep and apple care to get both exchanged... its a bit of a hassle, but ya... prepared for a long wait if you're calling in... you might have better luck going in person.

Good luck!

5. theMaccer thread starter macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

My MBA has a very bad bleeding screen which I can even see it on white background.

6. waiwai macrumors regular

take it in to a genius and they'll fix it if its under warranty still...

they will replace the screen but not the whole machine.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sadly, you are going to have a hard time getting that replaced. Apple techs like to claim that is "in spec".
    Just be calm, but firm as you are asking for it to get repaired. You may have to go through several people, so just keep asking for someone higher up if they won't help you. Calling AppleCare if you can't get it fixed at a store is helpful too.