Got a macbook pro 17" 2.6 200gb 4gb for free!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cavemeister, Dec 18, 2008.

1. cavemeister macrumors newbie

Excuse me for being excited, but as a struggling author….
    I sent a 2 year old dell laptop (worth about $500) in for repair under warranty. DELL LOST IT! After 3 weeks of endless phone calls to Dell reps in India, Dell sent me a top of the line “moby dick” size gaming laptop. Vista ended up being such a pain and the laptop so big I sold it for $1500 on ebay and bought a 17” Dell Studio laptop (actually not a bad laptop)—but vista was so ugly and slow I promptly sold it for $1000 on ebay and bought a macbook pro 2.4 17” hi res with leopard for $1500 (but got $200 back with live.com). So I paid $1300 for it…but then I started drooling over a 3 month old 17” hi res macbook pro 2.6 200gb 7200rpm 4gb ram with warranty thru 8/2011(came with an extra battery, a new latop case and an aluminum laptop bench!) Bought it on ebay $1811 shipped (minus $144 live.com discount!). Promptly sold the 2.4 locally for $1600) So I paid $1667 for the Macbook pro laptop! And basically Dell and Microsoft ($348 from live.com) paid for it! And enough left over to buy mac office 2008, and macspeech 2008.
    And this macbook pro is so beautiful and fast….:) This is the first apple I have ever owned! I also invested in the Apple Genius program for $99…a 1 to 1 hour appt each week for a year!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats and welcome to the Mac family!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

That is a LOT of buying, selling, and switching. I'd have pulled my hair out by now if I were you. But nonetheless, congratulations. :)

4. mac.by.jake macrumors member

Definitely alot of trading of computers. It's neat to see you came out ahead on those transactions. I got back into macs about a year ago then my company merged with a new company so I couldn't use it until a few months ago. I now am enjoying being fully Apple.

5. voltare macrumors member

I'm confused as to how this computer was free?

How much did you buy the dell studio for and how much did you sell the first MPB for?

6. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Technically, it's the first Apple you've owned but not resold. Congrats, though, hope it works out well for you. I've done a bit of wheeling and dealing and trading and upgrading myself lately, also due, in part, to the Microsoft Live dealy.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats.

Though I'm confused about the free part.

8. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i think hes talking about the difference from selling the top end dell laptop they sent him for free.

anways congrats! and welcome to the mac family

9. cavemeister thread starter macrumors newbie

free?

yes, by the time Dell gave me a new computer and all the wheeling and dealing I actually came out ahead. They basically gave me $1500 to buy a laptop.
    I used live.com to knock off ~$340...so it was $1650-$340 for the early 2008 macbook pro 2.6 17" hi res 4gb 200gb 7200...with an extra battery, applecare till 8/11, a remote, a new case etc...
    I'm a little goofy...
    It was a great ebay deal...though I was nervous because the guy didn't answer my emails after I paid him by paypal?!:eek:
    3 days later he called me and overnited the mbp...
    The only problem is there is no excuse for productivity now!:rolleyes:

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I was thinking the same thing.

ChrisN

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Congratulations. I have the same model but with a 15" screen and although i didnt get mine for free i got 40% off the original price which is a hell of a bargain. I love it...it's soo fast