got a macBook with student discount.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tenhead, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tenhead macrumors regular

My aunt wanted to get a macBook. So I took her to an Apple store and I used my old student ID (I'm not a student anymore) to get some discount on the macBook. The guy there looked at my student ID and also wrote my driver license number into his little handheld. Are they going to check if I'm still a student? I don't remember them taking my driver license number when I bought my MBP in 2008. Just wondering what they're doing with my driver license number?

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't think they can do anything once you've bought it and it's in your possession. I don't think there's any reason he took your driver's license info other than if you paid by a check or if he's stealing your identity!

3. Archman! macrumors member

Apple reserves the right to audit anybody who buys a product under the educational price. In other words if they decide to check on your "student" status and find you were not a student they will back charge you full price and frown in your general direction.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You're safe. The driver's license just restricts you to two purchases this year. My Apple Store is making me login to my current schedule on a store computer.

5. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, lucky the dude didn't make me log in to show current schedule in store.

6. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I didn't pay by check. Actually my aunt was the one who pay with her card. I just took her there and used my old student ID.

7. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

I bet Apple will eventually stop doing student discounts because of situations like this...

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

LOL yeah because that stopped every other company from doing it. LMAO