Got a mini incoming

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
First time ever owner of anything apple ...

what are some cool things I need to get for my mini to make it a blast to use?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Keyboard, mouse, display?
Speakers if you want sound (the internal is sad).
External hard drive for TimeMachine backups.
Applications (there is a thread floating around about favorites).

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Keyboard, mouse, display?
Speakers if you want sound (the internal is sad).
External hard drive for TimeMachine backups.
Applications (there is a thread floating around about favorites).
got my own keyboard and mouse and display left over from my PC ...

speaker - I will look into them

came with an external hard drive

I will try and find the favorites thread floating around ...

t0n3s

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Well, if this is your first Apple and given the way video codecs are going the Apple TV will be a great accessory as the new x264-hd codec doesn't seem to be supported by a great many current devices (xbox 360 for instance). iTunes and the Apple TV love the codec, which makes your streaming all that much easier - not to mention your whole music library on a TV spurs a lot of better viewing than what's normally on...

The trackpad is a another good one to get, it's really a gadget though with not as much productivity as I first thought - same goes with the Superdrive. I've yet to use more than 2 DVDs since I got the darn thing lol.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
First things first: upgrade to 8 GiB RAM. I'm on Snow Leopard on a 2010 Mac mini (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz with nVidia 320M) and going from 2 to 8 GiB made a huge difference.

Second: your mouse is probably USB, but is your keyboard USB too? Sad to say that even in 2012 I still see PS/2-only keyboards for sale in stores. :rolleyes:

Third: you probably won't like Finder, but it's the only thing that's really "different" from using a Windows system.

Be warned that when copying folders, OS X does NOT merge contents, it replaces them (i.e. imagine the older folder being deleted, then re-created, then OS X copies your new dropped files into it). Be careful.

That's about all I can say to get you started. As for me, I've been using Macs since the days of the first Mac mini (G4 1.42 Ghz with 1 GiB RAM... things changed since then) and I'm not planning on switching to something else any time soon.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
First things first: upgrade to 8 GiB RAM. I'm on Snow Leopard on a 2010 Mac mini (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz with nVidia 320M) and going from 2 to 8 GiB made a huge difference.

Second: your mouse is probably USB, but is your keyboard USB too? Sad to say that even in 2012 I still see PS/2-only keyboards for sale in stores. :rolleyes:

Third: you probably won't like Finder, but it's the only thing that's really "different" from using a Windows system.

Be warned that when copying folders, OS X does NOT merge contents, it replaces them (i.e. imagine the older folder being deleted, then re-created, then OS X copies your new dropped files into it). Be careful.

That's about all I can say to get you started. As for me, I've been using Macs since the days of the first Mac mini (G4 1.42 Ghz with 1 GiB RAM... things changed since then) and I'm not planning on switching to something else any time soon.

thanks for the input ...

why on earth do macs just erase the old folder and not merge? that just does not make much sense :confused:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
thanks for the input ...

why on earth do macs just erase the old folder and not merge? that just does not make much sense :confused:
No idea, but I've lost files twice by doing exactly that. I was used to contents being merged on Windows.

But as I said, apart from those details, give it time and the rest of the OS X interface and style will grow on you.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is the way text is anti-aliased. You may find it "blurry" at first, but let time pass. In a few weeks or months, you won't be able to read text on a Windows system. It's too sharp, too pixelated and unnatural. I didn't believe others who told me the same thing when I switched and I cursed at OS X's anti-aliasing. But now, seven years later, I still can't understand how I was able to look at Windows-rendered text all day long for all those years.

With enough RAM, the Mac mini is a really powerful box. I only have a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, but I can easily have all of these open and running at once:
- Mail
- Adium (most people in Canada are still using MSN for some reason)
- iTunes for music
- Safari with about a dozen tabs opened (Javascript enabled but plug-ins and Java disabled)
- Handbrake to encode a DVD into H.264 (very CPU-intensive)
- TextWrangler to edit a few dozen files of PHP, HTML, CSS and Javascript
- ImageReady CS2 to edit graphics (this old program is PowerPC-only, meaning it's running under emulation via Rosetta)

And with all of that running, I might still take a break and start World of Warcraft to go check my listings at the auction house or go fishing around Darkmoon Island. ;-)

Last edited:

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
No idea, but I've lost files twice by doing exactly that. I was used to contents being merged on Windows.

But as I said, apart from those details, give it time and the rest of the OS X interface and style will grow on you.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is the way text is anti-aliased. You may find it "blurry" at first, but let time pass. In a few weeks or months, you won't be able to read text on a Windows system. It's too sharp, too pixelated and unnatural. I didn't believe others who told me the same thing when I switched and I cursed at OS X's anti-aliasing. But now, seven years later, I still can't understand how I was able to look at Windows-rendered text all day long for all those years.

With enough RAM, the Mac mini is a really powerful box. I only have a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, but I can easily have all of these open and running at once:
- Mail
- Adium (most people in Canada are still using MSN for some reason)
- iTunes for music
- Safari with about a dozen tabs opened (Javascript enabled but plug-ins and Java disabled)
- Handbrake to encode a DVD into H.264 (very CPU-intensive)
- TextWrangler to edit a few dozen files of PHP, HTML, CSS and Javascript
- ImageReady CS2 to edit graphics (this old program is PowerPC-only, meaning it's running under emulation via Rosetta)

And with all of that running, I might still take a break and start World of Warcraft to go check my listings at the auction house or go fishing around Darkmoon Island. ;-)

wow not bad at all ... how much RAM do you have in your system to pull that off?

----------

thanks for those links ... I got lots of reading to do lol :rolleyes:

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
oh ok ... i will see how this system runs before I decide on whether or not to upgrade the RAM

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
just curious with the hard drive space ... can I add a hard drive of any size to this thing or is there a limit on size for internal hard drives?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
just curious with the hard drive space ... can I add a hard drive of any size to this thing or is there a limit on size for internal hard drives?
There is no limit on capacity. The only limitation is physical dimensions. As long as it fits, you can use it.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
oh ok then that is good to know :)

wonder why it took them so long to implement it though :confused:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Well, if this is your first Apple and given the way video codecs are going the Apple TV will be a great accessory as the new x264-hd codec doesn't seem to be supported by a great many current devices (xbox 360 for instance). iTunes and the Apple TV love the codec, which makes your streaming all that much easier - not to mention your whole music library on a TV spurs a lot of better viewing than what's normally on...
Could you enlighten us on the "new x264-hd codec"?

Btw, the 360 absolutely does support AVC (which could be encoded with x264, or something else) if it's in MP4.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Could you enlighten us on the "new x264-hd codec"?

Btw, the 360 absolutely does support AVC (which could be encoded with x264, or something else) if it's in MP4.
ya I am curious with you on that one lol

Also, I am assuming these hard drives are 2.5" and not the normal 3.5" design?