Got a new 500GB TC...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Habitus, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Good Morning!

I purchased a 500GB from a friend (only $50!) and set it up last night. I started backing up wirelessly for time machine. I have a 500GB internal drive with about 340GB used. I thought I would have enough time when I left my 13" MBP on over night. Wrong, I woke up this morning and only 60GB had copied. Could this be due to my Mac sleeping? Also, can anyone provide insight as to the difference in speeds when a external USB HD is attached and used for time machine compared to the internal TC drive? I have the latest firmware. Thanks!

Habitus

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The first backup takes a LONG time, you should've done this plugged in directly to the TC instead of wireless.

3. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the quick reply, you're referring to ethernet, right? Also, could I plug directly into the TC via ethernet and back up using time machine to a connected USB external drive? Thanks!

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Yep that is normal. The way TC/TM works it isn't a mirror of your HD so it takes longer the first time to convert it into the TM format.

I don't see a reason you couldn't use the USB - just have to make sure your external is in HFS+ format (Mac Journaled) - once you've mounted the external HD - it should show up in your TM preferences.

5. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks fellow MacHeads! Feel free to send additional tips/tricks my way as this is my first TC/AirPort Extreme!

Habitus

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Do you know if your TC is the second gen (dual band) or the first gen?

7. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

it's the 1st gen single band. I have it set to wireless N.