Got a new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by larswik, Mar 12, 2011.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

Hey folks, I just got my new 6 Core and I know that Xcode 4 is out that I can download. I read a few posts in the past that said most people were using Xcode 3 still. Should I try to install Xcode 3 like I have in my old computer or just download and install version 4. If I remember right it comes on my system disk too. I heard things about 4 being buggy.

3 or 4?

-Lars

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In a Mac Pro, I'd definitely do custom installs and install both.

But stick with what you know until you are comfortable with it. You don't want to be learning both a language and an IDE, so maybe wait until you are comfortable with Objective C in Xcode 3 before really trying Xcode 4.

B

3. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I'm using XCode 4, have been since developer preview 1. There are a few bugs, but no show-stoppers, and I personally find the experience in XCode 4 to be superior to XCode 3.

But I'm not developing any commercial software. If you absolutely must have a working development environment, I would suggest staying with XCode 3 until at least the first minor revision. Otherwise, jump on board!

Also I have no experience with XCode plugins. I've never used them. I don't know if there are compatibility issues with trying to XCode 3 plugins in XCode 4.

4. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

I agree with balamw, if you aren't comfortable with Objective-C go with 3 - especially since almost all documentation will be related to 3. But, if you're already comfortable with the coding and getting around ides in general, go for both.

By the way, congratulations on the new computer.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

A few things I've gleaned about Xcode 4:

1. The App Store version may provide fewer installation options than the version downloadable by Mac Developer Program members:
    http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2011/Mar/msg00180.html

2. No PowerPC compilation targets in Xcode 4:
    http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2011/Mar/msg00215.html

3. Right-click most things; contextual-menu appears; choose help item.
    http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2011/Mar/msg00207.html

Lots of activity (and many complaints) on the Xcode list:
    http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2011/Mar/index.html

It may be worthwhile to read all the list posts since Xcode 4's release, just to find the gems of information.

Also, there is an "Xcode 4 Transition Guide" (google it) that many of the people complaining seem not to have read. So my simplest suggestion is to RTFM before making any decisions about Xcode 4.

6. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

I will wait on 4 then, Thanks.My new Disc came with 3. Somthing and I installed those. Now I just have to remember how I installed Python and the Adrduino stuff.

Thanks!

-Lars

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

8. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

No PowerPC compilation. No Mac OS 10.5 SDK. Yeah! Good on Apple for having the chutzpah to break away from legacy.

Actually I do say that kind of tongue-in-cheek. I do understand that commercial developers need to maintain legacy versions of their software to support users using legacy hardware. But I do think it's better to have developers maintains legacy development environments instead of shackling legacy support on new development environments.

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

It doesn't come with the 10.5 SDK, but you can still set 10.5 as the deployment target, allowing you to support Leopard in your apps.