Got a "new" G4 Mini, possible usage

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by YaBe, Jul 11, 2018.

1. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

Ok I just got my hands on a "new" G4 1.25, wondering what I can do with it as I already have a G4 iMac (700 mhz) and the signature G5.

One idea was to set up a plex (or similar server) to stream (1080P) to my android / apple tv, is it something feasible?

I can run confortably linux if needed for that tast, just wondering if it can be achieved, else what would you do with it?

2. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

The speediest OS for that mini is MorphOS. You have to buy it, but you're paying for ridiculous speed.

10.4 is a good second choice and 10.5 is my third. Linux on a mini should be seen as a last resort.

3. dbdjre0143 macrumors regular

dbdjre0143

I'm currently setting up a 1GHz iBook G4 to act as a server for OwnCloud (a DropBox-style cloud-storage solution where you host the "cloud" server yourself, thereby controlling all data). I haven't quite succeeded yet, but it is supposedly possible on PPC, so if my iBook can do it, that Mini should be ideally suited to a similar task.

4. YaBe thread starter macrumors 6502

YaBe

Keep us posted

5. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

I had a g4 mini 1.5ghz max ram running as my media centre a good few years back, it was rock solid, and the ati card was great, much, much better than the terrible GMA iteration that came with the core solo/duo. Lovely little boxes, but that was running 480p back in the day.

Mine too started as a 1.25ghz.. so you can def get it to 1.5, or 1.42 at the least :D

these days, if I had one, id probably use it for software development/classic games. As a daily driver id recon id struggle a bit.

6. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

I use my G4mini for a very basic function. I use it as a target disc mode host computer for cloning tiger & leopard installs to new PPCs as I get them. Super easy - just set it and forget it. When I remember about it, its done & the box itself has a teeny footprint :) I did have it connected to my TV for a while but that got replaced with a core 2 duo mini that has hdmi (which is vastly superior to a DVi to HDMI adapter and RCA audio cable) & Hisi for th ebetter half.

7. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Mine works as Fax-Server / File-Server without monitor/keyboard and can be accessed via File/ScreenSharing.

8. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

My G4 mini is used for a bed-side music and DVD player, with my wireless keyboard and mouse, in case I want to browse without pulling a laptop out or pull up a PowerPC quickly. I also use it sometimes to charge older iPods with a dock I have. :p

9. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Home file server would be a great use for it. I just finally after all these years setup a Mac mini file server and It's great to have all my storage and files readily accessible.

10. galgot macrumors member

galgot

That's how I use mine too, home file server. A G4 running 10.5. Have 3 1TB external drives plugged to it.
    It serves iTunes , and AppleTalk/internal HTTP server/Gopher server/Timbuktu server so my old old macs can browse the files. Really good machine, some time have uptimes of months.