Got a new G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by L Oquence, Aug 25, 2014.

1. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

So.. my 1.6 ghz wasn't working right, and im in the process of finishing up na album so im going to have to troubleshoot it in the future.... so I looked at getting a new one to replace it.

And now I will soon be the owner of a DP 2.3 Ghz G5 I got for 60.00!

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Not a bad price for a 2.3 at all! You'll like it as the performance is night and day different vs. the 1.6GHz, and it'll feel like an all new machine!

3. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

I'm mostly excited to be able to put 8gb of ram in there. That's a large amount even by today's standards.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

It is still quite a bit! My 2.3 has 4GB. The unfortunate thing is my MBP has 8 and I regularly max it out, whereas my G5 hardly uses half of the 4GB.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Goes to show how piggish modern programs are.

6. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

Nothing is more amazing then the fact that we can use up 8GB of ram so easily today, yet my Power Mac G5 with 6GB in it will only use about 700MB of ram while watching YouTube Videos through YouView. It's a good thing this community is still alive, and so dedicated to maintaining truly efficient software.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Every little bit helps. I encourage all members to share neat tricks that make our PPCs a little more modern feeling. Even simple things like my little program to enable momentum scrolling with a Magic Mouse counts.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How about putting an Apple IR receiver in an Apple USB equipped keyboard to allow you to use an Apple Remote for Plex, iTunes, Front Row, etc. on an older non-IR equipped Mac?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That would be brilliant!

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They work really well. The best part number is Apple 922-7195. Simply disassemble a plastic wired Apple keyboard, desolder either the left or right USB port (opposite of the one you plug the mouse into), then solder the IR board's wires into the marked holes. All the colours are the same, but green is yellow. Make a small hole at the top for the IR sensor and put it all back together. Maybe tomorrow I'll strip one of mine earlier ones done and take pictures of it.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would be really interested to see that... Any range difference?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The IR sensor is up above the F3 key on this particular keyboard and it points straight up. The range is really good, comparable to a standard built in IR sensor, even when only vaguely aimed at the keyboard. I think it has to do with the plastic casing of the keyboard acting as a lens or light conductor for the IR to get to the sensor. But more about it tomorrow when I make a thread about it.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I look forward to reading that thread...

14. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

My first G5 died on me last weekend and I'm using a backup G5 right now. Unfortunately, here in LA, G5 prices on Craigslist are much higher than I really want to pay, anywhere from 150 to 800 dollars.

I've seen some Quads out there for $250 plus, but I am really not keen on getting one because of the LCS issues.

While searching, I am starting to notice Mac Pro towers coming into the $500 and under range. I'm debating now whether to stick with the PPC setup or jump to Intel.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If there were G5s in the sub-$100 range in your area I would recommend staying with PPC. Intel is a great transition and also opens a lot of new doors when it comes to software and performance. At over $200 for PPC or under $500 for Intel I would have to say Intel. Check out MacofallTrades for some good refurbished Intel Macs. They have some 2006 Mac Pros and iMacs going for $299.

16. n0cus macrumors 6502

I wasn't familiar with Mac of All Trades. I checked them out, and I am really impressed with their prices. It is crazy to think that 2006 Mac Pros are going for $300. Nice find Altemose!

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have bought both a Core Duo MacBook in summer of 2012 and a G5 with upgraded video card in March of 2013. Both machines were reasonably priced for a business, well packed (the G5 shipped in a custom spray foam mold), and in great condition.

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have 4gb in my G5, and even when I'm running Photoshop with the max amount allowed allocated(3gb, I think) as well as doing other stuff, I rarely get a page out or other indication that I'm running low on ram.

I currently have 8x512, and I've though about putting in on or two pairs of 1gb chips-which would give me 5 and 6gb, respectively-but sort of doubt that I would see a performance advantage to doing this. I think that my biggest bottleneck in that system is the single 1.8ghz processor(and it's not even that much of a bottleneck as long as I keep things reasonable).

19. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

I'm so fricken excited for it. My album is almost finished and as soon as this machine comes in I can add the finishing touches. :') It'll be more powerful too so more plug ins! yay! its supposed to be here Tuesday.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

This is interesting. All the Power Mac G5s I have picked up have been $40 or under, except my Dual Core G5 which was $60. All the $40 ones needed work, however some were Liquid Cooled and others were air cooled. You just need to hunt around and see.

The Quad Core (Dual Pump) Delphi systems and Panasonic pumps were much, much more reliable then the Delphi models. For power, I'd go for one of these. These LCS might need a small service; flush the system, liquid refill, o-ring replacement, thermal paste replacement, etc, but leaks have not been heard of on these models.

The Panasonic system can be found in the Single Core, Dual Processor models only meaning DP 2.5s and DP 2.7s. The inlet frame for the processor is much different then the one for the Delphis. The inlet frames for the Delphis are about 1/2 and inch to an inch thick. The Panasonics inlets are about 3-4 inches thick. The dual pump systems were only made by Delphi and only on the Quad Core models.

21. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

What's amazing is that I saw an original 2006 Intel Mac Pro on CL with 10GB of RAM for $100!! I guess the person just wanted to get rid of it. It looked nice too. I should have gotten that, but I may obtain at least one PMG5 soon. The prices in L.A. CL do suck, although some of the dual-core models are around $100. That isn't SO bad, but more than I would want to pay. The odd thing is that PowerMac G4 MDDs go for way more.

----------

I may get a Quad Core model soon, and this will be the first time I use a PowerMac G5, so I am NOT keen on working on one of these things. That still seems like a bit of work on the LCS. Do the Quad Core models normally need these smaller services or do they generally run well? Obviously they run much better than the old LCS in the Dual Core models, but I am hoping to not get myself into a mess and put money into it.