Got a new HDD to replace my old one

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, May 17, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

The drive that came with my Mac Pro has been noisy (not quite clicks but that 'loading' sound) since shortly after I got it. What are the chances that they'll cover it given that I bought it refurbished and the graphics card was not in good shape either (they replaced it).

The reason I am making this thread is to inquire about data transfer. My home drive is on the HDD I will be replacing, and IIRC last time that caused some problems as far as logging in and getting my OS to recognize it as my home drive. Is there something in particular I need to do? My initial approach would just be restoring from a time machine backup.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

When you get the new HDD, you could simply use CarbonCopyCloner to make a 1:1 copy of the system HDD to the new HDD, thus no need to wait for the restoration from the TM, thus there is hardly any downtime, as cloning can be done, while you work.

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'll give that a go. I'm not worried about downtime so much as having to reconfigure my boot drive/home folder drive business which I recall being a pain in the ass last time.

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

What if I also want to copy over my bootcamp partition? CCC wont let me do that it seems.

5. simsaladimbamba

Although it is no longer developed, you can use WinClone to make an .ISO file of your Windows partition, which you then can restore from.

6. JohnRocks macrumors member

Replacing a hard drive is a relatively easy task that anyone can complete with a little help. To replace a hard drive, you'll need to backup any data you want to keep, uninstall the old hard drive, install the new hard drive, and then restore the backed up data.