Got a new iPhone 3GS yesterday, has 4.1 - what jb software do I use?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmm, Nov 20, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi, Apple replaced my iPhone 3GS yesterday with a new one for $200 (my phone was out of warranty). I was able to restore my personal stuff but I now am running ios4.1 (according to iTunes).

What jb software can I use to do a jb of 4.x (whatever newest ios version that will work with my circumstances)? Is pwnagetool okay?

I need to be able to tether again (I am on AT&T - unlimited data plan). I was previously on 3.1.2 - was trying to jb when I realized my power button wasn't working properly, so I took it to Apple and they replaced the iPhone 3GS with a remanufactured phone for $200. They claimed there was water damage so there was nothing I could do.

Finally, is unlocking possible yet? I know there was an issue with unlocking my 3.1.2 jb'ed iPhone 3GS but don't remember what...

I would prefer to be on 4.1...

Thank you!

Thank you!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

4.1 firmware comes with 5.14 baseband which currently can not be unlock. You have many option to JB, Pwnagetool, Redsnow, Limerain or Greenpoison. The first two are preferred since they are from Dev Team which generally releases more stable JBing tools.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Is 4.2 out yet? Would there be any downside to me jb'ing 4.1 now when 4.2 is available?

Lastly, how do I tether after I jb with Pwnage tool?

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

No, 4.2 is not out.

After you JB, you can buy apps that let you tether, like Mywi.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can't build it manually anymore? Are there any docs/guides on it? I did it manually before, and am comfortable in CLI. I just don't understand the jb'ing world, so excuse my ignorance.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can activate tethering manually; search for commcenter in the archives. There's also a $2 program called tetherme that does the same for people who don't want to expend the effort.
    If you are interested in unlocking in the future, you have to stick to 4.1, as 4.2's baseband is yet another step up in the baseband version--also 4.2 isnt even out, as has been mentioned previously.
    If you haven't already, d/l tiny umbrella and start saving your SHSH blobs--even if you're not jb yet.
    Start reading through the archives. The questions you asked have been repeated ad nauseum.
    Iclarified is a good resource with tutorials on jb and unlocking.