Got a new iPhone - how to use my old iPhone sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrittQ, Jun 15, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I sold my 4gb iPhone a week ago and just bought a used 8gb iPhone. I put the sim card I was using with my old iPhone in, but I get no service.

Can I use my old iPhone sim card?

What do I do?

Thanks!!!

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

you should be able to,,was the older one unlocked and you are trying to use a locked one with adifferent carrier maybe?

3. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Old one was a legit at&t iPhone plan. I used my iPhone sim card in a cheap pay as you go phone for the past week until I got this iPhone.

Do I need to connect it to my computer to activate it? Or should it work with just putting in my sim card?

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

5. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Will this add another 2 years onto my contract?

6. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

It should not.
    If you use the online acct. manager, it will show it extended for a couple of days, then it will revert back to the original.

7. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry what is the online account manager? AT&T account page?

Im at the step in iTunes where it says: $20 a month and add the text message package you want. If I click continue will it extend my conctract 2 years, or just keep using my current contract?

Thank you.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I would just unlock the phone using ziphone and pop the sim in. I wish I would have done that

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Click continue.
    It will at first say that you have a new longer contract, but after a couple days, will revert back to your old one. Just has to go through the system.

10. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I had some cosmetic defect issues with my iPhone, so I exchanged it for a new one at my local Apple Store. They went in the back and brought me out a new phone on the spot, which I promptly inserted my SIM into and was able to make calls from instantly. As far as I recall....

The only think I can remember doing to it through iTunes when I got home was re-syncing and restoring my info from backup.

Strange.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They put your old SIM in and activate quickly at one of the genius bar computers.