Got a new macbook 13.3 2.2 from Best buy! except...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BestbuyLOL, Feb 8, 2009.

1. BestbuyLOL macrumors newbie

Just purchased a brand new macbook 13.3 2.4ghz etc for 1749 from Best buy. When i opened the box, everything was all over the place, manuals and cd's and nothing was sealed. The laptop itself was damaged! screen is scratched and laptop is actually damaged!! I go back to Best Buy the next day to tell them...wtf? The managaer basically told me to f$%* off as they are not responsible as the box was sealed when they gave it to me.
    Apple rep said it was actually double sealed cause he opened all the boxes to add ilife just last week. What do i do? I called best buy customer service but that doesn't seem too promising.
    My laptop won't even turn on, i basically paid $2000 for a piece of metal (aluminium i was "corrected" - told the idiot aluminium is a metal) Go best buy!
    Any help or advice would really be appreciated

2. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

go the the Apple store, they should replace it for you

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's no way you should have been treated that way by a retailer. I'd ask for someone higher up.

Since you already went back to Best Buy and were turned away, I would call either the store manager or customer service. If that doesn't work, take it a level higher in the Best Buy chain.

Good luck!

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Sadly this seems all to familiar with Best Buy. To all of those buying from them, please check your purchase BEFORE you leave the store.

5. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

That's disgusting. If no one at Best Buy (be polite and escalate it as high as you can), try writing to the BBB or even the Consumerist.

6. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

http://ihatebestbuy.com/

Sadly, your story is repeated over and over again with a lot of different manufacturers on the above site. You are not alone, and Best Buy has horrible customer service in this regard!

7. BestbuyLOL thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the respones so far. I went in to a best buy today to exchange it for a new item and the lady was super rude, dropped the laptop lightly into the box and just walked away. Our conversation went like this

ME: hi, i paid full price for a new macbook but instead got a broken laptop that isnt worth anything near 2k, i'd like to have it exchanged for a new macbook plz.

HER: we dont sell defective products so your best bet is to buy a new one

I start losing it at this point saying they hold full responsibility for what is sold in their store etc etc and she just walks away from me after treating me like a 6 year old thinking she could push me around.

I've contacted Best Buy customer service and the agent i spoke to said they cant do much other than submit a request for head office to call me back within 48 hours. I really doubt Best buy will call back but i'll wait to see what happens.

Don't know why i didn't just go to the apple store to get it

8. JohnMC macrumors 6502

I hope you paid for the MacBook with a credit card and not cash. If you did buy it with a card, call the card issuer and talk to them. Refute the Best Buy charge and work with your card company to get a new computer. Best Buy will have to work with you because they will not be paid unless they do.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Great point! I would refute the charges immediately if you used a credit card.

As for the troll comment, I don't think that this is the case. I have a friend that had a similar problem with BB. They have a habit of repackaging products for resale. My friend bought a printer and I can tell you it was far from "new".

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, if you go to an Apple store, buy an Apple laptop, open the box, never turn it on, and return it, Apple may sell it as refurbished because the box was opened by the customer, and they can't really verify that it was never powered on, etc.

However, I hear Best Buy usually don't do that because they don't sell refurbished or used Macs. They only sell new, so if the machine comes back from a customer and looks rather new, they may just check to make sure the CDs and manuals are still there and sell the machine as new. I've never heard of BB's refurb section, so I assumed it's true. I'm really not sure if that's true or not, or if every store is guilty of this.

11. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has an open box section, I had to exchange an iMac with screen issues... It was on there floor within hours.

12. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Chargeback.... gotta love credit cards.

13. BestbuyLOL thread starter macrumors newbie

i should have paid with a credit card but am in the process of getting a new one...so paid debit. sigh

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You might check with your bank. I use a credit union and they protect transactions on the debit card the same way a credit card company would...