Got a new macbook from the genius bar....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazzandmetal?, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I was having problems with this weird pong sound and they couldn't figure it out. So they gave me a brand new macbook which was cool. It took them an hour to data transfer my stuff for me and that was nice of them to do. THe new macbook however is alot noisier, the superdrive is noisier, the macbook itself gets warm where the right hand palm sits(the other one did not) and now I cannot get any of the songs that I bought from itunes to download back to my ipod. Is mac quality usually this inconsistent or am I just having bad luck?:(:mad:

2. chrisgohcs macrumors member

chrisgohcs

actually i had to replace my macbook once also. i realize that alot of quality control and refinement needs to be taken care of.
    firstly,the first macbook i purchased came with white marks on the top cover(note:mines the black macbook). when down to the service care centre. but they simply refuse to replace one for me. hence i called the applecare hotline,got a case number from them,only then will they change one for me.

the second one is better,however now there seems to have a lil expansion in the case of the mac.

a lil disappointment i had,maybe a expected a lil too much from the macbook.
    also hangs once every two weeks.
    haha.

3. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

one fix down

I just authorized this cpu to itunes and now my songs go to my ipod. 1 Down.:)

4. Kelly™ macrumors regular

get smcFanControl
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Run your FANS at a higher minimum speed.
    It is perfectly safe, does not void warranty and only changes the minimum speed, not the max, so if you set a custom speed and the computer thinks it needs more fan, itll give it.

I personally leave my fans at 5500rpm minimum speed.
    Yes, its a "bit" noisier but meh, and I can turn it down when im in a meeting and want it quiet.
    That will take care of the heat.

5. Kelly™ macrumors regular

PS: What do you mean exactly by noisier?
    Fans I presume?
    You shouldn't hear the hard drive or the optical drive, if you hear either or both loudly, take it back in, that's not good.

6. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Loud

I think the problem is that this is my first mac/notebook and I am not sure what I am supposed to be hearing. On and looking at the web all I here is a subtle mmmmmmmmmm type sound like a very low volume fan. I guess I was expecting silence.

7. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Download iStat pro or smcFanControl and tell me what your fan speeds are.
    Its possible your running hotter than your last MBP due to excessive thermal paste and your fans are running faster on this MBP to compensate, equivaling the louder sound.