Got a new Macbook Pro today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James17, Jun 7, 2008.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

This new Macbook Pro is superb. I sold my aluminum iMac on Ebay as I needed something portable being a student. I got higher education discount in the Apple Store and the guy threw in Applecare for free:) so I paid £1162:D for my new macbook pro- I am delighted. It came preinstalled with 10.5.2- I thought it was 10.5.1 they slipstreamed but obviously they moved to 10.5.2 and maybe 10.5.3 soon.

I have 1 question.

Isn't iWork 08 trial supposed to come as an optional install on the reinstall discs or even be preinstalled on the macbook itself? There is no iWork trial on the laptop and none on the optional installs section of the disc- I checked.

James

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Hmm the no iWork 08 trial is strange.

Never mind you can just download the trial off Apple. Then if you bought a key put it in.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

Nice purchase BTW.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hey, this thread has nothing to do with the iPhone :confused:

Lovely machine James. I think your timings good and I may follow your lead soon.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I didn't get a iWork trial either when I bought my Penryn MBP. I just downloaded the trial off Apple. I had to download Office 04 trial too as it didn't come with my MBP either. :(

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think Apple is cutting back on the shovelware. They didn't come with a Office 2004/2008 trial either.

BTW, Congrats on the new computer!

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There is no trial software on any of the new machines - just OSX and iLife.

7. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think it is a good thing because my previous iMac came with Office 2004- something I didn't want. I just downloaded the iWork08 trial from their website so it's fine.

8. Nikklaus macrumors member

How do you qualify for a higher education discount + is it a better discount?

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah I totally agree... the Mac vs PC ads went on about how PCs were loaded with extra software that you don't want/never use, and yet the Macs would ship with all this trial crap - very contradictory. So, um, yeah, this is a good thing that they've stopped shipping bloatware.

10. geekygoddess macrumors member

Congratulations!!!! You are going to love it!!!!:D

11. wozza macrumors newbie

In the UK you get between about 14-16% discount if you are at (or going to) university/higher education institute. The amount depends on which institution it is. You can also get about 8/9% if you are still at school or full time education.

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Nice one! My girlfriend just got one a fortnight ago and hers didn't have any trials installed neither, but she'd pre-ordered iWork with it so we just installed it straight away.

I get my MacBook Pro in a months time. I can't wait. I always preferred the MacBook design over the slightly older MacBook Pro design until I had a proper go on one. I'm not sure if its because they had a few extra inches to play with, but the layout on the MacBook Pro is far more comfortable. Although the aluminium case does give off the illusion of being hotter than the polycarbonate MacBook case because of its relative conductivity.

As for applying for the Higher Educational discount; you need to either be using the University network to connect to the Higher Education Online Store, or you need to phone in with proof that you are enrolled in a University. And yes, the discounts are slightly greater than those on the Further Education Online Store.

Which is a pity because I'm buying mine form the FEOS. Still... £200 off is nice...

13. shoppy macrumors 6502a

James the new machines no longer come with any trials installed, they stopped this on the latest revision. Also you did not get apple care for free but in fact paid for it. As the base model cost £1104.50 with edu discount +apple care at £58.75= £1163.25.

BUt it is indeed a great price and congrats on your machine.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's good to hear the discount is a lot higher in the UK than here in the US; I noticed that all your prices before tax with an educational discount is still $200US more than US prices before an educational discount!

I looked at Euros, A$; it seems like everyone's getting gypped out in the world.

15. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that up. I still got an amazing deal though considering the price of the machine itself is £1299 and AppleCare- £279.

Skeletal-dæmon, I actually go to a high school which only qualifies for the standard 6% discount but within school I go to college two afternoons a week for an extra Web Design course which makes me a college student. I told the sales guy what college (I was with my parents) and he said between me and him he would be willing to give me the full discount. I had my card with me but he never asked for it. I wasn't planning on buying that day because I thought I would have to pay for it within the college's network on the Education Store but he gave me it instore and I took it there and then.

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Thats even better to get the same discount in store, good for you. I agree it is a totally amazing prie. I have the same machine and purchased mine with the printer promo. Just 4 gigs of ram and it will fly.

17. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I never imagined the macbook pro to be like this. It is amazingly thin compared to my old old acer laptop and the acer laptop is heavier. The design is excellent, I am just over excited about having it. It is the best computer I have purchased so far, my aluminium iMac being 2nd. Thanks for the suggestion, I will buy 4GB from Crucial later this month.

18. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat James, bought my MBP a month ago and still can't over how beautiful this machine is. It is quite a joy to look at and to hold!(i'm not gay)
    My old IBM R40 was big, heavy and ugly (fugly), this thing is slim, lighter and sexy!

Instead of getting the iWork, I got a special deal on Office 08 for Mac for $50(educational discount). I wish I had gotten the iWork instead based on people's highly rated opinions on it. Maybe I will...

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

brits make a lot more money than we do, and have free health care. we are getting gypped

20. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot to click Quote and will take a while to be deleted so doing this instead.

chiefroastbeef,

I also got Office 08 for £35 ($69) through Software4Students in the UK (Education Scheme). What Macbook Pro did you get? Since it is only a month old, can I ask you to download Coconut Battery and tell me what percentage your battery health is? The "I'm not gay" bit made me laugh as you seem very self-conscious, it reminds me of my school- you say a word like nice or even more extreme-beatiful, the word gay comes out.:D

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have both and I like a Office a lot more; sure it's also more complex, but it is a powerful software suite. Quite frankly iWork is a baby in comparison.

22. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Thanks Alphapod for your opinion, I guess I will stick with Office, and perhaps put it towards ram!

James,
    My MBP is 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 200gb HD 7500. I have iStat Pro(which you should get), and my battery health is at 97% with 18 cycles.

I didn't want to sound like a fairy, so I added the parenthesis comment :p.

I can't wait for the Incase MBP Hardshell to come out in the States, I'm tired of trying to baby my MBP everywhere, the Hardshell will provide a peace of mind. I hope you love your MBP as much as I do! I sleep with it every night(i'm not gay), falling asleep to a movie or television show with it.

23. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have Coconut Battery and iStat, they both report 99% health with 2 cycles- it is 1 day old is that ok? I don't go to sleep with any gadget by my side but if that gives you peace of mind then so be it. I do love my things but to a certain extent in reality. You keep emphasising "I'm not gay", if you're happy with sleeping with it then who cares? You may be gay or may not, who cares? It's whatever you like, not what people think of your style and language.

24. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I was being sarcastic, apparently I'm not a sarcastic kind of guy. :p

You should try watching something on my mbp before going to bed, it puts me to sleep just like that *snaps finger*.