Got a new MacPro - can i just swap drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pherplexed, Mar 25, 2009.

1. pherplexed macrumors member

Just got a new MacPro at my office (the end-of-life'd 8 core model) and my old MacPro is going to a coworker. Can I just take the drive out of my MacPro and stick it in the new MacPro and just be off and running?

I mean, i've already done it and everything seems to be running ok. The only issues I'm seeing is that my Adobe CS3 software freaked out and deactivated and TimeMachine wants to start over - won't recognize my previous backup data.

Anybody know if swapping the drives like this is a bad idea? (or good?)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your old Mac Pro had another/different computer architecture than your new one (CPU; LogicBoard, GPU, RAM, ....) has.

As the old drive has only drivers installed for the old MP, the drivers for the new MP are missing now.

You could just have used Migration Assistant during the setup process or could have copied Applications, Users and the appropriate Library stuff over (from the old to the new MP).

PS: I did that once in another kind of way. I installed my OS (Tiger) on an external drive using my iBook G4 and later used the external drive as a startup/boot disk for a Power Mac G5. It ran okay, but not as efficient as it could be.