Got a new MBP and its perfect!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r88my, Nov 8, 2008.

1. r88my macrumors regular

Just a quick note to say I received my new late 2008 MBP a couple of days ago and I'm loving it ;)

I bought it to replace my 1st gen MBP (which has served me very well with no issues) and it is a hell of a lot better performance wise. Prefer the new design, keyboard, screen (not the black bezel though) and very impressed with how quiet it is. I slapped in my own hard drive in just a couple of minutes too, much easier than taking the 1st gen MBP completely apart!

It has definitely been a long wait (aprox 2 weeks) but well worth it, and scouring these forums for the past 2 or 3 weeks did get me sweating a bit with the various issues people have been having with their new purchases. I examined every surface for blemishes before taking the wrapper off, checked the keys, the screen, the drive, the battery cover etc and thankfully it is a perfect specimen. But as we all know, its always people who have problems with their machines who post on these types of forums rather than people who don't, so here I am trying to address the balance a bit!

So the moral of the story is, anyone who is seriously considering purchasing a new MBP but worried about the problems some people have been having, go for it!

2. RJones macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this. I think the main thing is when someone has a problem, the first thing they do is complain. If they get a perfect machine, they normally don't say much.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for sharing your story!
    Enjoy the experience!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

i've had mines for a couple weeks now, installed a brand spanking new 320 GB seagate and i have NO issues with the laptop. one of the most solid portable products i've ever laid my hands on :)

5. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Congrats! I just ordered a new MacBook Pro myself. It should arrive sometime around 11/14. Can't wait!

6. prosinader macrumors newbie

7. allanibanez macrumors regular

Beside a slightly raised U key on the left hand side my MBP is working great and has what seems to be perfect build quality. I'm 100% happy.

8. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Thought I'd second this. It's been a very trying few weeks for me due to personal reasons, but the new MBP I ordered is very nice in the little chance I've had to use it, and is a massive improvement over my MB 2.0Ghz Core Duo. Arguably it ought to be, but still... The screen is fantastic... I accept what people are saying about possible problems with glare but in the situations I use the machine it is fine. Performance is very good indeed, and the trackpad is great once you get used to it.

9. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I got a new MBP too! I loved it for two days, then both the HD and Ram crashed??? Anyway, Apple is giving me a new one for free!!! :D

10. allanibanez macrumors regular

Did you drop a glass of milk on your mac by any chance :D?

11. jamestemroot macrumors member

12. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I also received my late 08 MacBook Pro a few days ago and other than during the initial set up not working to migrate my old options and settings and such this new MBP is unreal. I was quite concerned reading all the posts about the new MBP's being this and that and goofy keys and dents but mine is a work of art. I thought I loved my old MBP but this new one really is very impressive indeed. Snappy even with 2GB ram ( I had 4 in my previous) but I will probably upgrade to the 4 in the new one. I admit that I am a bit of a 'looks' guy and this Pro is a beaut. This only solidifies my respect for Apple and the products they produce. I will always recommend Apple products for as long as they keep making quality products.

13. ahbianz macrumors newbie

I received my CTO MBP yesterday.
    It was fast!

Shipped on 6nov and i received it on 8nov!
    Amazing.

so far, everything's great!
    JUST PERFECT!!
    My 1st mac, thou i've used a Mac Pro for round 2years at my work place previously.

I'm looking at u/g my HDD to a 500GB one.
    Read around and seems that not all aftermarket HDDs are compatible.
    Any recommandations?

Ps. Likely to get it in pair, for time machine!

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Congrats. It's nice to read a story about a satisfied owner.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Your 'U' key is on the left side of your keyboard? :eek:

16. omegasyn macrumors regular

Congratulations, I too received a perfect MBP 2.5 but with a slight loose battery cover but nothing major since the opening is no more than 1CM.

Now only if samsung would release their damn 256GB SSD :/

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Good to hear! Mine new one is also perfect - a 2.8 with 7200 drive. :D Glad I went BTO in the end.

18. 3FLryan macrumors newbie

I'll second the dude above me in saying my new 2.4 Macbook Pro I bought today is perfect except for maybe a battery cover that is a bit too loose. I took it out of the box at the store and didn't have the heart to complain because everything else was perfect.

While MS Office was loading (thank goodness I saved my copy from my last computer in 2004!), I took a chance and tried some random 4 finger gestures. I think I laughed for about 30 seconds of pure joy when using expose. Felt like I was in Minority Report! (almost.)

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

me, too!

After exchanging two or three power books, I upped the money and bought the 2.4 MBP. So far, it's flawless. May like the feel of the macbook keys a little more, but I'm fine with them.

The display is great, and it has none of the quality control issues of the macbooks. No crappy display, loose battery covers, nothing.

It's a little overkill for what I'll be using it for right now, but I think that the quality makes it worth the price.

20. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

21. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Glad you made this post and that your MBP is perfect. I ordered mine on Oct. 21 and I have ben nervously waiting. I should get in some time this week!

Cheers.

22. CrownSeven macrumors member

Damn, you still haven't received it? I ordered my BTO mbp on a thursday, and they delivered it on the following Tuesday, I couldn't believe it.

And oh, yes mine is perfect as well (knock on wood).

23. slimpaul macrumors member

Congrats! :) two weeks is not that long though. I'm waiting for my MBP almost a month now.

24. MacPil0T macrumors member