Got a new MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomsa34, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tomsa34 macrumors newbie

Okay so after all of my questions regarding my 800mhz DP quicksilver, I broke down and bought a MDD 1.25ghz DP with a 23" Cinema Display and 2gb ram for $100. It is running leopard and is all in all a much easier computer to learn on. I also picked up a eMac 1ghz for $20 from the same guy, I wound up with a pro keyboard, an alluminum keyboard and 2 mighty mice so I think I did pretty good. Okay so my question is this, how can I do a system restore on my MDD without the original software. See it is running leopard, which I don't believe it came with originally and I didn't get any disks with it. The eMac is running Leopard also and has all the original CDs, but I don't think it has a leopard disk. Is there anyway to "reset to factory settings" without those disks? I still want leopard etc. but I just want it to be as if I had done a fresh wipe and install. I am not sure why but this thing is a little laggy, probably due to the excessive ammount of unknown crap this guy had on it. Any suggestions? Thanks guys/girls

----------

Oh an I looked and there are no previous time machine backups sadly:(

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You cannot do a clean basic install of Leopard without a Leopard Retail installation disc.
    Some things you can do are...
    Before you start, you should make a backup, preferably a bootable clone to an external drive using something like Carbon Copy.
    Download and install XSlimmer, then run it and it will remove all the useless Intel code from OS X Leopard and all the installed Apps.

Download and install Monolingual, then run in and select all Languages except the one you want (usually English), this will remove all unnecessary Language files.

Download and install Applejack, then reboot into Single User mode (press and hold Cmd+S keys on startup), then run AppleJack in Manual mode.
    At step 3 when purging Cache files, be sure to select 'yes' when prompted for a user name. This step will clear out years of garbage from a system that has never been cleared.
    Good luck and enjoy your MDD they are a beautiful computer.

3. tomsa34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I am going to try that right now and I will report back! Thank

4. tomsa34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I cannot get it to boot into single user mode. I've tried like 8 times. I do not believe it has OpenFirmware password protection, however I am unsure how to check. I tried holding command-s before, during and after the chime. I tried option-command-s also. Any thoughts? anyway to instruct a restart into single user without the key stroke?

5. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Add or remove RAM, reset the PRAM and try again. The previous user set a firmware password (i believe thats right).

To check, press option and if a password window comes up there is one present.