Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Alright, I just got a 1988 Ford Ranger V6 4x4 5spd, super cab. It has 205/75/15s on it for now, and came with a full size spare, and 4 snow tires on rims as well. 110k miles, one owner. The owner is a friend of the family, and a teacher at the local high school. He took great care of the truck and even ran sythetic oil in it from the 3k mile mark all the way till now. I bought it for $200!! He was going to send it to the crusher the next morning! All I need to do to it is replace the shackles, one of them is toast (no biggie since I was going to put in lift shackles), and fix the ebrake. Some of the regular hardline on the brakes is crappy too, so I will probably replace whats bad on that as well.

ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg

ranger3.jpg

I plan on running 2" of lift (shackles in rear, 1.25" coil spacer up front) and 30x9.5-15 BFGs. That part will happen next summer though, no money for that right this second.

I'm also going to repair the rust on it and repaint it so the two tone is in the proper locationg (in the middle, black on top and bottom). I might just do it all black though, not sure yet.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Hey if you have a good car around and just need to haul something every so often all you need is an old truck like that. Rangers will run forever...tough as nails if you do a little work on them.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Yeah, its definetly not a ride I'll be in every day. It'll probably see 1000 miles a year or so, and a good deal of that will be off road time.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$200 is great! It runs and you can make it into a 4x4 which will be awesome.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Is that $200 what the seller would have gotten for the truck if he sent it to the scrap?

Anyway, great purchase. Think about it......you got a car. For $200. That's like less than the cost of 2GB of RAM for your laptop or something.

C

CompUser

Yea, you really need to repair that rust and give it a good paint job.

C

CompUser

joecool85 said:
Yeah, its on the list.

That would be my priority over a lift kit and new wheels. Or just sell your focus and that thing (if you can) and buy pickup that needs no restoring.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
wow i used to have 90 model ford ranger single cab V6 5spd that was a fun truck to drive. I miss it a lot.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
^^^ but its a project truck. Its fun fixing it up. Nice grab btw, although the bed looks a bit off from the rest.

Is the frame straight?

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
CompUser said:
That would be my priority over a lift kit and new wheels. Or just sell your focus and that thing (if you can) and buy pickup that needs no restoring.

It is priority, but all it needs is a little grinding, a quick sand and some paint. I can do that in 1-2 afternoons. And I don't own a focus, its a ZX2...totally different car. I'm not buying new wheels, just tires and that won't be till next summer, and on top of that, I need the car for good mpg.

xPismo said:
^^^ but its a project truck. Its fun fixing it up. Nice grab btw, although the bed looks a bit off from the rest.

Is the frame straight?

Yes the frame is straight, I think some of the body mounts are worn.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Sweet! You should "Pimp My Ride"ify it! A water-bed in the back, 40" plasma TV on the roof, big flame decals down the side, gold wheel trims...

"You've officially been pimped!" :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.