Got a PB G4 1.5 GHz for $395 on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wakka092, Dec 22, 2007.

1. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Title says it all.

Full specs
    PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    SuperDrive
    Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, etc.

But.. there was a catch. The LCD is cracked.

Pretty gruesome, right? Well, I promptly ordered a replacement LCD (eBay, 130.00) and a battery (eBay, again; 20.00) and I have a charger lying around. I also downloaded the iFixit instructions, which was about 20 pages long.

But, good news, the seller will upgrade to Leopard. :apple: So did I make a good buying descision or a bad one?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Fantastic for the price. Just take the disassembly slow and be careful installing the new LCD. It's a great little machine. Since it'll be running Leopard I'd buy a 1GB stick and throw that in. That's what I'm running now and it handles Leopard nicely.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You paid $550 for a 1.5 ghz powerbook + your time and labor. It's a reasonably good deal if you have the time and know how and don't break anything in the repair process and don't discover any other problems that the seller neglected to tell you about. As long as that all turns out to be true then you made yourself a nice deal.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'd make a great headless server or a desktop as well. :cool:

Battery backup too!

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That's the exact computer that was stolen from my house in April 2005!

6. wakka092 thread starter macrumors 6502

wakka092

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. The only problem with installation is that the iFixit guide requires you to remove the logic board, light sensors, PC Card slot, pretty much everything except the hard drive and optical drive. That bothers me a bit. I'm wondering if I need to remove all of that in order to replace the screen.

The screen I ordered had the bezel and hinges attached. I am planning to remove the bezel and just get the LCD itself. Anyone think any different?

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Good buy! Although I hope it isn't dpaanlka's :)

I don't know about the bezel thing. I've never repaired a PowerBook before.

Anyway, even if it doesn't work out, you can probably re-sell it for parts, or just use it as a toy to learn from, like I did with broken XBoxes back in the day.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

wow this makes me wonder what to do with my rev.a Powerbook 1Ghz that I stepped on and cracked the screen..:eek:

9. ivnj macrumors 65816

Well that explains the cracked LCD then. Sorry just kidding. Couldn't resist.

Anyhow its a fair price. But laptops never last forever anyway. We paid 2800 dollars for a G4 1ghz laptop dvi. 3 years later it said bad vram.

I hope the aluminums are more stable.

10. sublicon macrumors member

applecare, anybody?

11. ivnj macrumors 65816

No we didn't buy apple care. We should of. Besides it broke 6 months after the apple care would of expired anyway. So they never would of helped.

Plus laptops are not meant to last 10 years anyway. They're disposable.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless the seller is including the Leopard original CD/DVD, the Leopard installation will be pirated... and you'll have endless grief first time you need to boot from the Leopard CD/DVD to do maintenance, reinstallation or recovery.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Why should you have bought Applecare? It wouldn't have helped you and you would've been out the money. That's usually the way it works with Applecare, regardless of what anybody says.

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

Apple care does work. Just not after it expires.

Besides it should of never bad vramed in the first place. I heard that was not very common. I mean all apple laptops had some issues or the other.

I want a laptop that'll last me 10 or 20 years but aint going to happen. Never.

15. HDproducer macrumors member

I replaced the screen on my 17" 1.67 and it was rather simple. I did not have to remove anything from the inside, just remove the top with the keyboard and your good to go. I ended up replacing the entire screen assembly. Taking apart the screen seemed a bit dodgy, and it didn't go back together as clean as it was.

My case had some damage which may be why it did not want to go back together. But I had it apart a few times trying to figure out what was wrong, so I decided on a entire new screen rather than just the LCD.

But it sounds like a good deal.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

AppleCare has proven itself worthwhile for my family and friends on several occasions.

17. sublicon macrumors member

What is it with this attitude? It's rampant on these boards. I don't profess to project my own personal situation on anyone else, but these people who have had no problems whatsoever with their machines would rather classify AppleCare as loss of money, rather than an added protection of one's investment.

Same here, for my old Powerbook G4 and a couple iPods. I would've been out of luck had I not taken the extra precaution. Yes, it costs money, but the other alternative is I have to drop MORE money on a new product when the current one is out of warranty and isn't functioning properly.

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Setting aside the perceived attitude, what aquajet says is absolutely true. Applecare costs more than the average of all the repairs/replacements Apple makes for each model during the warranty period. In the long run (meaning over the course of multiple purchases), the consumer loses money by buying this, or any other, extended warranty.

19. sublicon macrumors member

Lets put it this way, based on my personal benefit from having AppleCare coverage, and given the Apple reps constant advice "you'd be better off just buying a new one" when anything goes wrong, I'm happy to lose some bucks on it.