Got a powermac g4 what did I get?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nizmoz, Jan 11, 2013.

1. nizmoz, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

nizmoz macrumors 65816

Had this machine given to me for free from my job which was going to toss it. What did I get and what can I do with it? I need a operating system but not sure how good of the G4 series I got?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.4 Tiger would be just fine. It is an original Quicksilver and over a decade old.

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

So it seems I got the crappy one of the bunch. :/ So what can I do with this to upgrade it and where can I actually get the software? Any tips? Not familar at all with the G4 series or anything older than 2007.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might be able to find someone willing to sell a processor upgrade for the G4 but it would take some skill to replace it. You can not overclock it like the old Power Mac G3 via jumpers so that is out.

Best uses, a file server. You will be limited to 128 GB drives given LBA limits over the onboard IDE controller. Anything over Firewire or a PCI controller card would not have such a limitation but you options are rather limited nowadays.

The last time I really considered a Quicksilver would have been in 2007. Even then we were replacing them with spare Power Mac G4 MDD or just an Intel based Mac mini.

6. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

You can upgrade the CPU and GPU.

Both would make a huge difference, though it would be terrible at running Leopard with the stock GPU. With a GPU upgrade, you could hack Leopard onto it and get decent performance :).

7. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Ebay, people sometimes charge quite much for that particular OS because ot is the latest for PowerPC, Snow Leopard or anything newer is not available for PPC. Buying Leopard for old machine like that might not be ideal if you unsure what you are even going to do with that Mac. There are of course ways to get it for free.... As with the OS, 512MB PC133 SDRAM sticks are also often quite expensive considering that they are old technology, so going for max. ram might cost too much, again because if you are unsure why to own the machine.

8. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I found out the RAM suppoedly is maxed out. The guy who had it before at my office had it maxed out. I see it has 3 or 4 (all slots are full) can't recall how many exactly of memory modules.

----------

Will try to power it up tonight.

Hmm not letting me post another picture I have of the inside.

OK updated first post with inside picture.

9. nizmoz, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow 1.5 gig of ram. Not bad. 10.5.8 OSX. Need to put a bigger HD so I need a software install CD somewhere. Ugh. HD not going to happen...IDE hard to find and I thought I had a spare. :/ Oh well. Got a ton of SATA's.

[​IMG]

Only has a 40 gig HD.

10. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

You could use Carbon Copy to clone the existing system to your bigger HDD mounted internally, thus avoiding the need for an install DVD.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

this should help with your collection of sata drives

ide to sata

---------------------------------------------------------------

like carbon copy you can also use superduper to clone your small harddrive install of leopard to larger drive

Superduper

12. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Alternatives:
    - add a SATA card and some big disks (soft raid) and you have a file server.
    - add another NIC and you have a firewall/web server/whatever server.
    - install OS9 and you have a retro Mac
    - just start using it and you have a workstation for light work.

Then again, if you don't have any use for it yourself, try to find someone you can make happy by passing it on.

RGDS,

13. OSMac, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

OSMac macrumors 65816

I also got a couple of QuickSilver 2002s recently, if you like tinkering with older stuff they are great.

Put a OS 9 install in and head over to Macintosh garden, lots of classic software to pass some time on a cold day. Also grabbed a old CRT monitor as the older games run at lower resolutions that look better on a CRT I find than scaled down on a LCD.

The speed of the older machines does not matter much for OS 9 stuff, your 733 is fine.

Next I want to find a Cube to add to the collection.

Many judge them on how they run today's software, but to me at least that is not the point.
    I have machines that can run today's programs fine, but it's neat to have some classic macs running software from that era.

14. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

There is an open firmware mod to allow large hard drives.

http://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/128gb-large-hdd-lba48-support-on-the-g4-cube-with-leopard/

15. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Those quicksilvers are reliable and affordable and If you can max one out and with the right software. It will "just" work for Light browsing/photo editing and video playback in mactubes

I recommend the following software

-Slimmed down version of leopard
    -Mactubes
    -ilife 06
    -Stainless or tenfourfox

I also recommend that you replace the pram battery as the one thats in there has reached the end of the line

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

I got one for close to free as it would not stay on.
    Turned out, just needed a new Pram battery and a push of the MB reset.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

18. cocacolakid, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

You sir, (and many others on this site) are a wealth of knowledge.

---
    OP, that's not a worthless Mac. It will run Tiger extremely well as-is and be a nice machine on many levels. Depending on what video card is installed, you might want to upgrade to something with more onboard VRAM. The standard card that shipped with was a GeForce2 MX which had 32mb of VRAM. There was a GeForce3 64mb optional upgrade. There are likely other cards that would work. It's a 4x AGP slot. People here can suggest some options that are mostly inexpensive since you're likely not looking at spending big bucks.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Back when I had to maintain a site of G4 machines, I would visit these two pages. In addition to MacRumors of course.

http://lowendmac.com/

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

20. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I like xlr8, but LowEndMac has gone downhill. If it you look at their homepage, it's a soup of links to other sites, and it isn't low end at all (2012 a Year of Great Change in Apple Portables). The only LowEnd things about it are the archives.

It's hard to think "Low End" when you see headlines like these:

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They have been doing that for years. (since 2005?) It is mostly a relinking site with the occasional piece of new writing. Most of the updates are back to the site's own 5-13 year old news articles from the same day!

22. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The only thing is that they relink to articles that have nothing to do with being Low End. Apparently they are moving to a CMS, so maybe we will see more content, but it frustrates me.

23. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You gotta remember that LEM stopped being his full time job. I'd be pretty tough to keep the content up especially as diverse as theirs is and while still keeping a day job..

I gave him $20 a couple months back figuring I got that much from the reading the interesting tidbits from a website that has been live for 15+ years.

24. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

They used to have regular columns but basically everyone has left and moved on to Intel Macs. Charles Moore was the last regular there for a long while who posted a column every week or two, but he's been gone now close to a year.

----------

Thanks, familiar with both.

25. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Upgrade hard drive then either get a torrent for OS X or get MintPPC