Got a Powermac G5 and iMac for free

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nameci, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Hello guys, just wanted to share.

I got a powermac G5 DC 2.3GHz (again) for free and an iMac G5 1.8GHz 20".

I was hoping and myself believed that it is going to be a quad core.

Powermac got 10GB of RAM and iMac got a full of 2GB. Both have hard disks and original install disks. I am very very lucky.

Original owner said Powermac is working with no problems. I opened it up other than dust accumulation there is nothing wrong with it.

The iMac got a history of noisy fans due to its fans running at full speed after some time. I opened it up, and as usual, everything is full of dust. Blown some compressed air to clean it, installed Leopard, and there you go. It is less noisy than my 17" iMac ALS.

Checked for bulging caps, there was none. Only missing is the airport extreme card.

Am thinking on upgrading to a 120GB Intel 320 SSD on the iMac. What do you think guys? Would I still be able to mount the HDD thermal sensor?

These iMacs are really easy and fun to open up. The design is very well thought.

2. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

that guy must have money! lol

yeah both fantastic computers, don't know how the older macs take to SSD but i suppose it would be a great upgrade!

3. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

They are a graphic and print design studio, they have a lot of money to burn.

And I do some work fixing their equipments for free most of the time so it is just him returning a favor.

4. Subish macrumors member

Nice!

The only people who I fix computer is people who are broke!...lol oh and Family.

I did use to fix the local Gun shop computers all the time, so he use to hook me up with ammo when I did.