Got a problem with my charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cibernetico, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Cibernetico macrumors newbie

I've never experienced this problem so hopefully someone here has and can tell me what's up.

Anyway, my 2008 Aluminium Macbook has always charged fine. But recently, when I plugged in the charger, I noticed that the light on it would fade in and out and the notifier at the top would go from "Charging" to "Not Charging". I unplugged it to see if there was something wrong and still, it keeps doing it.

The crazy thing is, when I have the monitor closed, the charger stays stable and charges the laptop. But when I open it back up, it goes back to cycling between charging and not charging.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any solutions?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is happening because the Magsafe is on its way out. It cannot supply enough power to charge the Macbook and keep the screen lit at the same time. You should replace it as soon as possible as it may be a fire hazard.

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Magsafe adapters aren't that expensive, and thankfully they are easy to replace (unlike other parts of your Mac :p)

Just search eBay… there are a lot of lightly used MagSafe's for around $30 or so. If you want a brand new one from apple, you can get it here… though it's a bit much IMO.