Got a problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iDennis1994, Oct 31, 2015.

1. iDennis1994 macrumors member

iDennis1994

Bought a secondhand macbook pro. There was still stuff on the computer, i didnt want, so i erased it. It's asking my to put in my apple id ,and when i do it, there is a error that its not avaible right now. ( im doing a factory reset..) There was Yosemite on the pc before, and i dont got that on my apple id. I still got the Snow leopard cd. What should i do? Im stuck on the installation screen; OS X Mavericks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Since you never "purchased" Mavericks or Yosemite with your AppleID, you are a bit stuck here. Your options are either install from the Snow Leopard CD then from there update to El Capitan... or somehow on another Mac get Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan onto a bootable USB key installer then use that to install the OS.

3. iDennis1994, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

How do i boot from the leopard CD? I tryed to hold the C button while booting up, didnt work.

EDIT:

When i tryed to run from the CD, i couldnt install the OS X on my harddrive.

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

You cannot load an OS older than the OS that shipped on that laptop. I would contact the seller you bought it from for assistance.

5. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Well, im trying to install the leopard CD that came with the macbook. It wouldnt let me install it on my drive.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like the CD does not contain an OS X version that is compatible with your Mac.

7. iDennis1994, Oct 31, 2015

iDennis1994

I need to use the partionate option to partionate my drive? That doesn't work either. Lmao, im stuck here.

EDIT: I made a new disc ( its called partionate..) I created a new disc, right now im installing the OS X leopard from the CD i got it with. If this helps for now its fine. Is there still a way i can buy/get yosemite on my apple id?

8. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Got it installed. The macbook is working now. Tho, i got a question, how can i make my internet browser bigger? Im a windows user, and i have no clue how to do that. If i clikc on the green + its not making it bigger, just a little bit.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yosemite is no longer available, but you can get El Capitan from the App Store. You will need at least Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to get the App Store app though.

Just grab the bottom right of the browser window and drag it to resize.

10. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Is there a reason why videos on youtube wont load on safari, but they do load on google chrome?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Probably because Chrome includes its own version of Flash and OS X / Safari does not.

You should be able to go to this link and turn on HTML5 support for YT and then use Safari even without Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

12. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Even Macrumors doesn't work on my safari. I'm typing this from Google chrome. I'm going to try your link. ill keep you updated.

Altho, the battery on this macbook has 814 cycles. Is it worth to buy a replacement battery on ebay? Is it hard to replace the battery? :)

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The battery is pretty easy to replace. You can usually find a walkthrough on iFixit where they also sell batteries.

I would be wary of the cheap batteries on eBay. They can wreck your MacBook.

14. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Okay, i will look up there.

I got some other questions;

Right now i got the OS X 10.6.3. Am i ever be able to update the OS without needing yosemite? Can i ever do system updates? Or am i stuck on this one?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... just run software update from the Apple menu up top and that should get you to 10.6.8 which includes the App Store app. Then you can use the App Store app to update straight to El Capitan if you like.

16. iDennis1994 thread starter macrumors member

iDennis1994

Whenever I have installed the updates, and I need to restart my System, it gets stuck here. Any sugestions?

[​IMG]

17. iDennis1994, Oct 31, 2015

iDennis1994

EDIT:

I have installed the 10.6.8 via the apple website, same as the el capitain. :)

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can't tell from that screen... is that some sort of OS X screensaver... or does that look like the OS is not loaded at all and that is video (GPU) corruption?

So not it won't boot at all?

19. DavNeil macrumors newbie

I 2nd that.