Got a Quad-core G5 w/ Dell monitor and Apple keyboard-$60

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 16, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ahhh, I am really happy about this. So I found a local seller (on Craigslist) who was selling this PMG5 Quad. I saw that it didn't list the specs and was $60. "It's probably a dual 1.8Ghz", I thought to myself. But, sure enough, it was a Quad-core G5! I gladly picked this thing up, and it came with a small (15") Dell Ultrasharp monitor (very versatile displays), and Apple keyboard.

I have yet to fiddle around with this thing, as it's 8:00 at night and I have work to do. However, I did get a chance to turn it on; it has a 500GB HD and 4GB RAM. It's definitely pretty speedy, as far as I tested it, but I noticed that the fans are constantly blasting... I presume I need to do a calibration test with this? Perhaps a PMU reset, or whatever it is? I removed the air baffle while it was running, and noticed NO change in fan volume, showing that they are already on full blast.

Besides all that, it seems to be in good shape, just pretty dirty. I noticed grain on the Dell monitor. Maybe something with it is out of whack, but its general picture is still sharp. I'll probably use it as a secondary screen anyway, considering it's so small.

Any help, tips, and/or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Here are some pictures of the beast... I gotta go through a whole day of school tomorrow before being able to mess with it.

Outside, inside, and its Nvidia card. (Nvidia GT 7800, seems to be the 2nd best one that came w/ these)

Attached Files:

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The video card is a GeForce 6800GT. As for the fans, yeah it probably could benefit from the thermal calibration. The front CPU fans should be spinning, and since they're not, thats probably why the back fans are going all out. It may have a leak in the LCS, so I'd pop that cover off and check for corrosion.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I woke it up again and they were spinning... I think I need to do a calibration if anything. I really hope this thing isn't leaking. How do you safely remove the 'G5' plate? I have heard of many people breaking that little pin at the top. (also, I found out that it's a 7800GT, assuming it's the original one, as that is listed within the computer).

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Haha, ya 6800 was a typo. Anyways, the pin on the cover will probably get damaged a bit when you take it out, but it'll still hold the cover in place. I've had mine off a couple times and it still does the job. It may not look as pretty, but it functions. The best way is to use an xacto knife edge to slowly work out the center rivet, then pull the surrounding part out. The plastic is pretty soft, so it takes a minute to do. Then slide the cover to the front of the computer and lift up.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I lifted the bottom part of the plate up and inspected (hadn't read your post prior). As far as I could see, there were no signs of leakage. Do you think a thermal calibration test can solve this issue? System Profiler says that all my CPUs are there, and I have found that all the fans are spinning now. The Mac is FULL of lint though, and it will definitely help once I get it cleaned out. I am just hoping this isn't something more serious. I have also found that the fans seem to climb higher once the computer is fully booted. They are sort of loud at the beginning, go down some, and then go up again to full blast once at the login screen, and constantly thereon.

Also, IDK if this matters or not, but a red light by the RAM slots turns on then off (within a few seconds) once the power button is pressed. I am aware of what those lights are and what they mean, but should it not be doing that? They aren't staying on or anything... maybe it's similar to how the caps lock light briefly goes on once a keyboard is detected?

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Cleaning the airways should make a massive impact. I'd also download Temperature Monitor and see if you've got any serious discrepancies between CPUs and cores. Some difference is to be expected (I've attached what mine is running at right now) so I wouldn't worry about a few degrees. Core 2 on CPU A seems to always run higher than the others for some reason, but it has never been a problem. I'd also blow out the PSU really good using an air compressor. The dust that collects in there can be insane. I don't have a 7800 in mine, but the X1900 fan blows like mad until the login screen, so you may also be getting some noise from that fan. It's probably dusty as heck too.

Also, the red light you're seeing is normal for this model G5.

Attached Files:

7. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ah yes, I should really be downloading all I need before asking about all this. I am aware of both iStat and Temp Monitor, but I haven't plugged this in with ethernet yet. The thing that concerns me is that the fans blast pretty early on, as if the dust doesn't have much to do with it. Considering it is full of lint, would the computer be that quick to detect that it's 'chocking' on the stuff? Is there anything else I should do, besides calibration? I reset the PRAM, and also held down the power button for 10 sec while it was unplugged. I wonder if pressing the button on the motherboard would help. (PMU reset button, I believe).

I have a DP 2.0Ghz G5 that runs just fine, and it also has that deal where CPU A runs a little hotter. I guess it's not an issue.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The late 05's had a SMU vs PMU reset (not that it really matters, the do basically the same thing) but if you're doing any online research, you'll want to look for SMU. Thats the switch you're talking about below the lowest RAM slot. It probably won't do anything for fans, but press it once and see what happens when you reboot. I really believe the only way to solve your problem will be the thermal calibration. This thing was probably run a low while jammed up with dust, so that may have a lot to do with the fans going bonkers. I'd give it the full detail job with compressed air and see what you get on your temp sensors afterward. It'll probably help some, but I don't think you'll get proper fan speeds without the recalibration.

9. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I'll go ahead and take my air compressor to this thing. I noticed that the CPU vents are jammed with lint; It's crazy how dirty this machine is. I will do a calibration as well... I guess I should have done all of this first, but I was just worried once I saw the issues with the fans. (is the ASD for this G5 version 2.6.3? Last time I searched the other version for my DP G5, I couldn't find it anywhere, which isn't a surprise. Know anyone with an ASD.dmg?)

Well, I'll post an update here once I am done cleaning it and doing the calibration...

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yup you need 2.6.3 for this G5, and yes I've got the .dmg image.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Alright; if it isn't any trouble for you, would you mind sending me your .dmg? (Dropbox link, mediafire download, small enough to email, etc.). I would be very grateful, as I haven't been able to find a download for this anywhere.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I recall the red lights not turning on until I actually removed the air baffle. However, I will still check to make sure the plastic tab is still attached.