Got a question about a cable

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OCraised, Jun 3, 2008.

1. OCraised macrumors newbie

Now can I use this cable
    http://www.buy.com/prod/StarTech-USB-2-0-Video-Capture-Cable/q/loc/111/204229251.html
    to be able to hook up my old mini-dvd sony camcorder to my macbook and import into iMovie?
    The only other option that I can think of is to buy a DVD recorder, plug my camcorder into that and then take the newly made DVD and put it into the Macbook. Which would mean I would need to import it with another program. If I can use this cable, life would be so much simpler.
    Or should I just buy another camcorder (wife would kill me).
    Thank you in advance.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

In short, the answer is no. That isn't just a cable. It's designed to work with software (Windows only) that converts an analog audio and video feed into MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. From http://www.buy.com/prod/StarTech-USB-2-0-Video-Capture-Cable/q/loc/111/204229251.html: "SVID2USB2 offers real-time MPEG 1, 2 and 4 recording"

You have a DVD camcorder that records to mini-DVD discs and a MacBook with a slot load DVD drive, but you cannot safely play the small discs in a slot loading drive. The easiest solution would be to purchase a try loading USB or Firewire DVD drive. Place a finalized mini-DVD into the external DVD drive, then use MPEG Streamclip (freeware from www.squared5.com ) to convert the DVD's VOB files so that it will be compatible with iMovie.

The are other alternatives:
    purchase a camcorder that doesn't record to mini-DVD

purchase an analog-to-digital converter and play the DVD in the camcorder while capturing in iMovie

-DH

3. OCraised thread starter macrumors newbie

How about the Canon ZR900 is this a decent camera to get for a mac? It shows that it has firewire.

I just need a basic camera to catch shots of my son taking his first steps. And of course all of the rest of the memories.