Got a rMB today, initial thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kis, Dec 28, 2015.

1. kis macrumors 65816

So I finally took the plunge and after much consideration decided to get the 12" rMB over the Surface Pro 4. I bought the 1.2ghz version with 512gb. Got it 150 bucks cheaper, but it was still inanely expensive (about 1500$).

I knew I'd have to get used to the keyboard, so I'm not saying much about it here.

However, here are two points I'd like to talk about:

1. Speed. I did a lot of installation work today and am downloading my entire music library from Apple Music as we speak, so I wasn't too surprised to see it slow down. However, several times today it almost came to a complete standstill. E.g. as I was opening Skype for the first time, it took it 30 seconds to authenticate the app developer. Really weird stuff. So yes, it's dramatically slower than a rMBP - I didn't think I'd notice as it won't be doing any heavy lifting.

2. Trackpad. I don't know why but it just feels a lot less precise than my 15" rMBP's (which also has the Force Touch version). As a matter of fact, it feels a lot like the one on the XPS 13 that I have from work. It's ok, not bad at all, but just not as precise as the one on other Macs. Perhaps it just needs to be broken in first? :)

Despite these two points I feel like I made the right choice. I don't think I would have been happy with the SP4 for long. I primarily need a lightweight laptop and really don't require a tablet. If version 2 really comes in March, I'll probably trade it for that one - as I got it with a discount, I won't be losing that much money, I reckon.

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Congrats

Are you sure speed issue was not due to external factors ?

Funny the rMB is the 1st device that has tempted me to use a trackpad for the majority of time

If you do not trade it in do not forget to consider applecare re KB issues still keep cropping up

3. Serban, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

Serban Suspended

my trackpads are all the same, 15" MBP and 2x Macbooks

4. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

the trackpad thing could have to do with the position on the pad. On the rMBP I can rest my palms on the computer, while on the rMB that isn't possible. Might just take me a while to get used to it.

As for the speed: I'm not sure what caused it. I was downloading music on iTunes, perhaps that went haywire somehow. I'll keep an eye on it.

5. kis, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015

kis thread starter macrumors 65816

KB issues?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's defiantly downloading that caused the hiccup. I had the same when I was downloading my iTunes Match library I needed to leave it overnight to finish. It wasn't the actual download just the processing part. Once it was done it flew. I've been playing roms the last 3 days with an Xbox controller. I have to say I love my rmb

7. SteveJUAE, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes quite a few seem to be reporting sticking/failing keys, just keep an eye on it, it could just be a batch thing or random or a latent defect, jury is still out

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I can't say that I've ever seen my rMB slow down appreciably for anything so that seems likely some hiccup that isn't typical.

I think that my trackpad is excellent, although I do occasionally have an issue where it does not recognize the back gesture in Safari, but it seems confined to certain sites so I can't say what it is. I do think that in some respects my Magic Trackpad on my iMac (old version) feels a bit better - but I think that's mostly just the surface coating not anything to do with the precision.

9. macbook_21 macrumors regular

Thanks for a great and detailed review.

The rmb is actually so small that it's a detriment in certain respects. The lack of space to rest your palms on the computer is one, as you have pointed out.

The lack of ports is just unacceptable to me. A laptop to me serves double duty as a desktop and portable.

What if one wants access to hdmi and ethernet simultaneously? What about external backup drives?

Is a usb hub or dock the accepted workaround?

I felt as if the 11" mba with a retina display would have been the superior solution design wise. It offers at least some ports, a real keyboard, and doesn't look like a toy.

I can see a rmb with it's candy colors being sold at toys 'r us with a 6 year old climbing up on the demo table and smashing it on the counter with glee.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Personally I have no issues with adequate palm space on the rMB with average/above average sized hands (large to xl in most gloves).

You can't access HDMI and Ethernet simultaneously on the Air either without adapters. The rMB and the Apple adapter plus a small USB/Ethernet hub gives me all the connectivity I've ever needed and I don't have to carry that bulk and weight for the 98% of the time I'm using the computer without that stuff.

Frankly with both an Air and the rMB in the house, the rMB looks professional while the Air looks like the dated toy...

11. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

It's small, but it's also exceptionally light - that was the most important factor for me. I do the brunt of my work on my 15" rMBP - the rMB is my on-the-go computer. The port thing is an issue - I totally agree. I have an adapter that'll let me charge it, use a USB port and an HDMI port at the same time. It doesn't look very elegant, but it does the trick. For the form factor to be a long-term success, I believe Apple needs to find a way to add another port. There are just too many usage scenarios in which it's necessary to have two ports. For me, it's not essential - USB sticks are the only peripheral I use during normal work days. I could have gone with an 11" MBA, but I think the 12" screen on the rMB is the smallest I'm willing to go. My eyes aren't super great anymore and when I'm tired, I'd have problems working with anything smaller. I'm pretty certain, the next iteration will be 12.5" and nearly borderless, similar to Dell's XPS 13.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The MB compromises too much for me. I got a new rMBPro 15 but would have bought a new Air before I got the MB. Just my person preferences . . . i still want ports and SD card reader without doggles.

I know this will "erk" the MB lovers but there is two side to everything.

13. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

that seems to be the case - now that the DL is complete, it's nice and fast again. I used a 3rd party USB 3 gigabit LAN adapter (delock, to be more precise), perhaps the driver I had to install in order to use that one was to blame.

14. macbook_21 macrumors regular

I didn't mean to offend. I was just offering up a personal opinion mixed with what I thought would be some breezy humor.

I see this happening quite a bit on forums though. People identify with their purchases and their feelings get hurt and their egos bruised if a purchase is criticized.

I'll try to take this into account although it makes it more difficult to point out the pros and cons of various products if you have to walk on eggshells factoring in those who fly the rmb or mbp or mba "flag."

15. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Well, if I were you, I would just ignore the rmb.

16. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

I honestly don't know why you thought I was being defensive or offended? Neither one is the case - I just wrote my opinion on things, which is fairly neutral, if you ask me :)

17. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Good thought it was odd ☺

18. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

iTunes can indeed slow down while downloading. I have my iTunes library on a 5400 RPM hard drive. During downloading, it uses all the transfer speed of it and slows it completely down. Same for Steam downloads, also massively slow down the drive!

19. David58117 macrumors 65816

I actually sold my 11" air and kept the 12" rMB.

It's really weird, but the fanless design really makes a difference, even between these sizes.

This may be nuts, but I think it's actually easier using the rMB at a desk, than the (well say 15" rMBP, since I had that).

Rather than needing to connect multiple plugs to the ports on the computer - there's just one on the rMB. Everything connects to the dongle, which stays at the desk.

20. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes I have to get rid of my old MBA 11" 2012 I got back from my son, unfortunately little market here for 2nd hand ones but should be able to trade it in at local supermarket for a new tin opener or something :)

Some sandwiches for you (MBA and rMB look thinner mainly due to curvature against the SP4, but rMB is very cute)

20151230_054502_resized.jpg 20151230_054516_resized.jpg 20151230_054528_resized.jpg 20151230_054542_resized.jpg

21. Melrose, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'll be all sour about it and say I'm not surprised it got bogged down... $1300-1500 is a tad high for the processor you get in those things. Over the summer I picked up a new 13" Air and had loaded my music library, all my work apps (CS6 apps, development apps, etc) and it didn't stutter once. It was around $1300 for a 2.2Ghz Broadwell with 8GB.

But if you don't have a heavy usage, it should serve you well now that the heavy lifting is all done. So, congrats OP. Hope it serves you well and you're happy with it - as a non-working, on-the-go machine it will likely be great. 10-second boot times are sweet, aren't they? :)

I read somewhere just a few days ago where someone was having trouble with their rMB trackpad... weird.

22. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

After having used it for a few days, I have to maintain that the trackpad isn't as accurate as the one on the 15" rMBP. Are they using a variety of manufacturers? Mine decidedly feels like the Synaptics-made one in my XPS 13. For example, when I move my finger, there's just a hint of a delay until the mouse cursor starts moving - and this makes a big difference in accuracy.

The processor is slow - and it does show even in everyday tasks. Just scrolling down the apps list in the app drawer is slightly jerky, while it's perfectly smooth on the rMBP. Apps load slower, scrolling in the browsers sometimes isn't perfectly smooth, either.

Doesn't bother me much, but I'll definitely be upgrading to the 2016 model once it's been released.

Don't get me wrong - it's fast enough for work and the form factor is fantastic.

23. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Too bad the OP didn't have activity monitor running to actually see what was hogging CPU. The serial bashers that seem to show up on most rMB threads, one question Why?

24. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't show anything suspicious. Because I was downloading the music library, I'm just guessing it was the network traffic over USB

You're not calling me a basher, are you?

25. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah I tend to ignore the forum sections I'm not interested in; IE I've never been to the Macbook section until I got the MBr. It's weird that they hang around here. I don't own an iPod Touch anymore so I haven't been on that forum in ages.