Got a second-hand iMac...Factory reset?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheGreenBastard, Jan 13, 2013.

1. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

I'm paranoid whenever I get something used. Is there any way to do factory reset without rebuying ML? Also, some of the text is Chinese...I changed display language to Eng but it didn't change everything.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

You should be able to use the OS X Recovery feature to reinstall the OS from scratch. This will, however, not restore the lLife apps (like iPhoto, iMovie, etc) and you'll probably have to contact Apple (via the feedback tool in iTunes) in order for them to reassign those downloads to your AppleID, vs the AppleID of the person who originally purchased the Mac.

Here's an article with the basics about OS X Recovery.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

One thing you'll have to do that I didn't see mentioned is use the Disk Utility program to erase the hard drive, then reinstall OS X. Otherwise, OS X will just reinstall on top of the existing install, which won't erase what the previous owner had. You should see the Disk Utility program as an option when you restart your iMac in Recovery mode.

Good luck!

3. TheGreenBastard thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Hey thanks a lot. This is my first Mac and I'm loving it so far.
    And there are no iLife apps installed (that I know of). I was kind of surprised because for some reason I thought that Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie, etc came pre-installed.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

iLife is "included" with Macs still, but it doesn't come preinstalled anymore.

The first person to login to a new Mac is given the ability to download them free from the App Store.

I'm not sure of the actual process, but there is something that can be done when you buy a used Mac to be given the ability to download them for free, also.

Hope you enjoy your Mac. The reinstall you're about to do is a pain in the butt, so hopefully it's clear sailing after that. :)